Looking for like-hearted friends

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin
Posts: 16014
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 20:24

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Apr 2018, 18:50

I'm glad to hear about someone devouring our posts. :D

Welcome!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann
Posts: 2572
Joined: 09 Sep 2012, 02:17

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by Ann » 19 Apr 2018, 03:05

Hi, Only Love -

I also feel much closer to God now than back in my orthodox days. But it’s interesting to me that we still thirst for conversation with like-minded people. I also believe, like you said, that God can teach me something in the midst of the excitement of knowing him better and the distress of losing faith in the institution.

Glad you’re here and hope it’s helpful.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Only Love
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 19:29

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by Only Love » 20 Apr 2018, 08:34

Curt Sunshine wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 18:50
I'm glad to hear about someone devouring our posts. :D

Welcome!
Ha ha! It's true, though! :D


Ann wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 03:05
Hi, Only Love -

I also feel much closer to God now than back in my orthodox days. But it’s interesting to me that we still thirst for conversation with like-minded people. I also believe, like you said, that God can teach me something in the midst of the excitement of knowing him better and the distress of losing faith in the institution.

Glad you’re here and hope it’s helpful.
Thanks, Ann :)

User avatar
BeJoyful
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 08:37

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by BeJoyful » 20 Apr 2018, 09:02


Only Love wrote:Hello! I am so excited to officially join this community. I’ve been reading (okay, devouring) posts on here for a few months and I have been blown away by the love and wisdom in this community. I’m at a point in my journey where I feel a great desire to connect with like-minded (and “like-hearted”) people so I am so grateful to have found this forum.

Okay, about me… I’m in my early thirties, Mom to 3 young kids, living in a conservative area of the “mission field”

I grew up in an extremely orthodox, TBM family. Though I grew up in a place without very many Mormons, I very much took on that TBM identity for myself and prided myself on doing everything right.
Your story and journey are just so similar to mine- it's like you're writing my story. I'm new here, only 5 or 6 months of posting, a little more than a year observing. Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


User avatar
On Own Now
Posts: 1610
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 12:45

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by On Own Now » 20 Apr 2018, 14:54

Only Love,

I just want to say two things:

- I'm sorry that you are going through this. Yes, we can find new ways to grow, love, and become fulfilled, but there's no denying that it's a sucker punch to the gut to experience a faith crisis. I feel for you, as do others here. I'm at peace now and feel good about where I am, but I also still remember the hurt and the tears.

- Welcome to this site. I look forward to hearing your added voice here.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

User avatar
LDS_Scoutmaster
Posts: 210
Joined: 21 Jan 2015, 23:30
Location: SoCal

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 23 Apr 2018, 13:59

Welcome to the site! Looking forward to hearing your views as you navigate this sea. This has been a safe place for me to get some assistance in the navigation myself,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

User avatar
SilentDawning
Posts: 6760
Joined: 09 May 2010, 19:55

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Apr 2018, 20:17

Only Love wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:02
Hello! I am so excited to officially join this community. I’ve been reading (okay, devouring) posts on here for a few months and I have been blown away by the love and wisdom in this community. I’m at a point in my journey where I feel a great desire to connect with like-minded (and “like-hearted”) people so I am so grateful to have found this forum.
I read your whole post, but how can I not welcome someone who thinks our posts are full of mind blowing love and wisdom?

Thanks for joining us -- hope to learn from you.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Only Love
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 19:29

Re: Looking for like-hearted friends

Post by Only Love » 26 Apr 2018, 18:12

BeJoyful wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 09:02
Your story and journey are just so similar to mine- it's like you're writing my story. I'm new here, only 5 or 6 months of posting, a little more than a year observing. Welcome!
Thanks, BeJoyful! It's always good to know I'm not alone. I wish we could be friends in real life!

On Own Now wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:54
Only Love,

I just want to say two things:

- I'm sorry that you are going through this. Yes, we can find new ways to grow, love, and become fulfilled, but there's no denying that it's a sucker punch to the gut to experience a faith crisis. I feel for you, as do others here. I'm at peace now and feel good about where I am, but I also still remember the hurt and the tears.

- Welcome to this site. I look forward to hearing your added voice here.
Thank you for your kind words, On Own Now. They mean a lot. It is definitely hard sometimes.

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 13:59
Welcome to the site! Looking forward to hearing your views as you navigate this sea. This has been a safe place for me to get some assistance in the navigation myself,
Thanks, LDS_Scoutmaster!

SilentDawning wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 20:17
Only Love wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:02
Hello! I am so excited to officially join this community. I’ve been reading (okay, devouring) posts on here for a few months and I have been blown away by the love and wisdom in this community. I’m at a point in my journey where I feel a great desire to connect with like-minded (and “like-hearted”) people so I am so grateful to have found this forum.
I read your whole post, but how can I not welcome someone who thinks our posts are full of mind blowing love and wisdom?

Thanks for joining us -- hope to learn from you.
Ha! Thanks, SilentDawning!

Post Reply