A lost sheep returning to the fold

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
JamesB

A lost sheep returning to the fold

Post by JamesB » 01 Mar 2018, 11:08

After ten years of inactivity, my records finally caught up with me and I was visited by the missionaries. We are now meeting together regularly and two days ago I received a priesthood blessing. I plan to attend worship this Sunday for fast and testimony meeting. After all these years I was surprised to learn that I still had a testimony of the truth of the gospel. I plan on returning to the church and become worthy of the priesthood I hold, eventually going back for the blessings of the temple. Prayers on my behalf would be greatly appreciated.
You can best serve civilization by being against what usually passes for it. -Wendell Berry

DarkJedi

Re: A lost sheep returning to the fold

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Mar 2018, 16:37

Welcome to the forum. I don't pray in the sense you're likely thinking, but I'll send positive energy your way and rejoice with you as you rejoice.

I was also "away" from the church for ten years (not all who wander are lost) - you seem to have the advantage of having moved to a different ward/place in the intervening years. Please don't take this other than how it's intended but testimony meetings can be the toughest, just saying. You didn't ask for advice and I am a bit hesitant to give it, but I will anyway: focus on your testimony of Jesus Christ and you'll be OK. Another part of the wander quote is "all that is gold does not glitter."

May you find the peace you seek.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Mar 2018, 17:12

Congratulations James.

I too celebrate with you for the positive choices that you are making. The church community can be such a great benefit in life.

I shared the following analogy recently with another new StayLDSer:
Your testimony is like a rock wall. (Don't worry about the purpose of the wall--the analogy doesn't stretch that far.) Everyone is constantly building to their walls, stone by stone. And every now and then, you may stumble upon a stone and not see exactly where it fits. It may be labeled "gay marriage" or "visiting teaching" or "hymns are boring" or "why do we have so many freaking meetings and why are they so freaking long." But that doesn't mean you abandon the wall. It means you set the stone aside and keep building with what you DO know. And as you build, you may suddenly see where that stone fits. Some people have likened this process to a jigsaw puzzle, but that implies that everyone's testimony looks the same eventually. I like the stone wall better because everyone's will look completely different, and have different foundations, but all of them are still valid. It can be frustrating to feel sometimes like you're surrounded by stones you don't understand. But hang in there. You'll find their place eventually. And as you do, you'll find your OWN place, too.
Even if your testimony is somewhat different than everybody else it is still valuable and heartfelt.

I believe that God honors our unique testimonies all the more because we come into them "honestly" - through genuine searching and personal lived experience.

God bless you in your path.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Mar 2018, 05:36

DarkJedi wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:37
I don't pray in the sense you're likely thinking
No chickens, chanting and black candles? 😁
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Mar 2018, 05:42

JamesB wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:08
After ten years of inactivity, my records finally caught up with me and I was visited by the missionaries. We are now meeting together regularly and two days ago I received a priesthood blessing. I plan to attend worship this Sunday for fast and testimony meeting. After all these years I was surprised to learn that I still had a testimony of the truth of the gospel. I plan on returning to the church and become worthy of the priesthood I hold, eventually going back for the blessings of the temple. Prayers on my behalf would be greatly appreciated.
Hi James, I was "out" for years. Didn't consider myself member during that time. Here's some of my advice:

* Take it slowly.
* Do it on your terms.
* Give it a few months at least.
* Do not expect it to be perfect, do not expect yourself to be perfect.
* Work out who your allies are and stick by them.
* Read through the archives of this forum & get some ideas for what to do.

I was really surpised when I came back. I didn't have everyone judging me. Sure, there were some members I liked less than others, but I haven't let them chase me away. But I have also met many kind people who have improved my quality of life no end.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 07 Apr 2018, 16:30

I hope things go well for you and according to plan.

The church is stronger with you.

Welcome to StayLDS.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Apr 2018, 18:14

Welcome and thanks for posting.

I will pray that you are able to make it work on your own terms in a way that is uplifting for you.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken