A Part of my Story

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
DarkJedi

Re: A Part of my Story

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Feb 2018, 12:15

dande48 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 11:43
And that's okay. :)
I agree Dande. In some sort of combination of prosperity gospel, "chosen generation" (How many chosen generations are there, BTW?), and (apparently) perfect Facebook Molly Mormon moms, we're raised - even us converts - to believe all of what you said.

Real life ain't nothin' like that. Unfortunately (?!) for a tiny minority it is at least a little like that, or at least appears to be, and they are held up as examples. I've lived the dream, but one day you wake up and smell the coffee and realize the dream isn't all it cracked up to be or it just plain disappears. I believe every faith crisis, at least of the LDS variety, has some element of these pseudo-doctrines and beliefs and for some this culture/teachings/beliefs IS the crux of faith crisis.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Feb 2018, 12:39

dande48 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 11:43
But the chance of all this happening, as we planned out (and were often told), is virtually nil.
Dande, after reading your list I had a rather sarcastic thought occur to me.
The cast of the TV show "Friends" lied to me in every episode! Real life is nothing like that! Where is my "Central Perk" coffee shop?!?!?! :evil:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Feb 2018, 12:50

The difference Roy is of course that Friends does not purport to be the one true comedy.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 21 Feb 2018, 15:14

Roy wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:39
Dande, after reading your list I had a rather sarcastic thought occur to me.
The cast of the TV show "Friends" lied to me in every episode! Real life is nothing like that! Where is my "Central Perk" coffee shop?!?!?! :evil:
Haha! Yeah... I don't think it's just central to our religion, or religion in general. The media lies to us! And for profit, shame on them.
"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy. "
-Albert Campus

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Walls

Post by Walls » 22 Feb 2018, 17:10

You all are great.

In an effort to make sure you know I didn’t post and disappear, I concur with everything you said. I have no idea how to quote in a post and have a hunch it’d be easier on the computer and not on a phone with one hand feeding a baby with the other.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

FreeAgent

Post by FreeAgent » 03 Apr 2018, 20:39

Your story really resonated with me, Walls, and actually convinced me to sign up here. :)

Especially this bit: " I felt trapped to make covenants that I had no idea what they would be. I felt like my agency was taken from me..."

Exactly how I felt as well.

RE the temple recommend interview. I stopped doing that a while back. I decided I had no reason or desire to go back, and the interview itself frankly felt really creepy to me. The questions they ask make it feel like it's more about forcing you to conform to certain expectations, and that's exacerbated by the fact that they harass you about coming in for you interview if you don't schedule one on time. Or, at least, they tried to harass me about it. When they did that I told them in no uncertain terms I felt I was worthy before God, and didn't need to be interviewed by anyone to prove it, and so on, and that I didn't want to renew my recommend at this time... and they haven't bothered me since. :)