Greetings!

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
jfb55

Greetings!

Post by jfb55 » 18 Oct 2017, 05:19

My name is Jim, and I am a member of the Church, but have been inactive for many years. I am wanting to become active again, and would like to remain so from now on. Formerly a branch clerk and member of branch presidency, I quit attending after my wife at the time was excommunicated and we eventually divorced. It didn't seem the same without my family. Now at 62 I realize that I need the restored gospel in my life as much as ever. I am very nervous about going back after all these years but am wanting to honor my priesthood and eventually receive the blessings of the temple once again.

DarkJedi

Re: Greetings!

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Oct 2017, 05:29

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you want to "StayLDS" and that's what we do here!

I spent several years as an inactive and coming back can be tough - but it's doable. There are many here have have been in a similar place as you. What can we help you with?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 18 Oct 2017, 08:14

Welcome. I am not sure what to say other than you are are welcome here. That we probably have an inkling why you might have been less involved in the church after your wife's excommunication. Just from having been exposed to, and experiencing ourselves, many things that have lessened our own involvement at times.

Please share your adventures as you re-engage with the church!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Oct 2017, 16:10

Welcome! May you be successful in your hopes and desires. You are not alone!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 18 Oct 2017, 21:45

The restored gospel is a wonderful and the church is a great place to find it. :)

We all come from different walks of life here and we all differ in levels of orthodoxy. Do what works for you.

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your perspectives and wish you luck in returning to the church.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Harriet Naomi

Post by Harriet Naomi » 19 Oct 2017, 12:12

Hi Jim,
Welcome back! I returned to church activity a little over a year ago after close to 40 years of inactivity. It took me about a year of thinking and praying about it before I went to church the first time. I got great support and advice here. When I did finally go, it just felt right and like I was home. I asked the missionaries to introduce me to the RS pres. I thought about making an appointment with the bishop first, but decided to just start attending.

You don't have to go every Sunday, and when you do, you don't have to stay for the whole 3 hours. My first calling was as RS pianist, and there were plenty of Sundays that I just showed up for 3rd hour to play the piano. Have recently been called as Ward Chorister, so now I'm attending all 3 hours. Sunday School classes often annoy me, so I hang out in the Family History room with friends during Sunday school.

Just remember, people will be happy to have you back at church. You can decide when and how much of your story you want to tell.
I hope you find this forum helpful and you find your happy place in our tradition.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Oct 2017, 20:41

I am running out of time tonight, so I just will say, "Welcome!"
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Oct 2017, 15:26

Welcome! There is always room for you!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13