Struggling

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Roy

Re: Struggling

Post by Roy » 22 Oct 2017, 15:44

Dkormond wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 20:50
Thanks everyone. Do you feel like denying your truth has a long term negative affect on your soul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not feel like I deny my truth. I do feel that I have come to a point where I recognize that my truth is not going to be well received and may even be unwelcome at church. Sometimes there are ways to say something tactfully in a SS discussion and have some people consider a different point of view. This can be a skill of determining appropriate time, place, audience, and presentation. Not everyone has this skillset or social capital to pull it off. ( I consider myself a work in progress in this regard)

I also feel that there is sometimes a limit to how much I can listen to things that contradict my truth. When I recognize that I am getting closer to my limit I may tune out with a book or tablet device or I may physically leave the room (like I am going to the rest room.)

Finally, I really am ok with people believing differently than I do - especially if their beliefs are not overtly harmful to themselves or others.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 22 Oct 2017, 17:14

Dkormond wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 20:50
Thanks everyone. Do you feel like denying your truth has a long term negative affect on your soul?
A girl in church who was mysteriously very easy to talk to had a temporary tatoo on her wrist today that said "Not all who wander are lost" - the Tolkien quote. As I noticed it, I saw a new perspective to the quote that I could relate to.

Just because you are asking questions that ostensibly no one else is doesn't mean you are in apostasy. You may come to embrace new ideas as part of your faith journey. See it as moving forward and maturing in your faith. If it leads you to leave, I respect and validate your decision. I believe that God understands and will not hold it against you, if done for the right reasons.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 25 Oct 2017, 07:40