After Almost a Year Here What do I Know?

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
dande48

Re: After Almost a Year Here What do I Know?

Post by dande48 » 30 May 2017, 08:40

Heber13 wrote:
30 May 2017, 07:43
It is interesting to see different approaches to problem solving and learning and decision making. I dont think one way is better than other ways, but there are benefits to knowing and accepting different styles. At certain times, your logical and deep approach has probably benefitted you in life.

Here is an example of some different Color Styles
When you mentioned different "color styles", it reminded me of some research we discussed in an Evolutionary Biology class many years ago. Here is a link to a short 7-minute segment of the documentary, and here is the original published article.

The synopisis is this: There is a tribe, called the Himba, in northern Namibia. Because of how they are raised in a world seperate from the rest of us, infused with their own language and culture, they are unable to see the "blue" in this color wheel below.

However, unlike most westerners, they are able to point out the different color in this color wheel.

In fact, they have a completely different word for that particular shade of green, whereas the blue and green in the first color wheel have the same word in their language.

It's an excellent example of the way you were born, the way you were raised, what you were exposed to, and your environment can completely change the way you see the world.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Heber13

Re: After Almost a Year Here What do I Know?

Post by Heber13 » 30 May 2017, 10:20

Interesting stuff.

As it relates to the gospel...I think people in church have different approaches. Some can be categorized (although there are always limitations with categorizing people), but some don't want the deep meaning and explanations...all they know is church tells them to do this or that, and they value this or that, and they are fine with knowing why they do it.

Others question, and have a deep need to ask "why?" and to really logically lay things out.

In different circumstances...I have seen the value of those different approaches, even if it causes frustrations to interact with each other, the tribe is stronger embracing and valuing those different approaches.

It can reduce fatigue and burnout when we realize church is there to help us practice dealing with others and their styles...even while we become comfortable with our own styles among others.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."