Trying to find a happy medium...

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Beefster

Re: Trying to find a happy medium...

Post by Beefster » 05 Aug 2017, 09:51

I know there are lots of great people in Utah (such as the GAs). I understand why people like it there, but it isn't for me. At this point in my life, I would probably turn down most any job or calling that would require me to live in Utah.

I have a friend who once said "Mormons are like manure: When you spread them out, they do a lot of good; but when you put them all in one place, they just stink." I'm pretty sure she heard it from somewhere else, but it's till an awesome quote.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Aug 2017, 10:42

I loved growing up in rural, central Utah, even though I was an oddball in multiple ways.

I would not choose to live in Utah now, unless I felt compelled to do so.

Finally, I know it was hyperbole, but anyone who would choose to live in a literal war zone over Utah has never experienced a literal war zone - or is crazy. :lol: I assume you have never lived in a literal war zone. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 05 Aug 2017, 10:56

I haven't been in a war zone. Definitely hyperbole there. :P

I can say, however, that the last 3 years I spent primarily in Provo really put a bad taste in my mouth. It's a nice place to visit and a terrible place to live.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Aug 2017, 12:25

I can say, however, that the last 3 years I spent primarily in Provo really put a bad taste in my mouth. It's a nice place to visit and a terrible place to live.

For an unorthodox Mormon, that generally is true; for an orthodox Mormon, that generally is false.

It's important to make those types of distinctions, since the Provo environment is wonderful for a lot of very good people. It just isn't right for us.

The same can be said of lots of places I have lived. Japan is great for many Americans; it is terrible for many Koreans. (The stigma and racism still are strong.) Boston is great for students; it is difficult for young couples with families. (cost of living) Alabama is great for conservative Republicans and Evangelical Christians; it can be brutal for Democrats and Mormons (and Muslims and African Americans and other religious and/or racial minorities). Cincinnati is great for Catholics; it can be difficult for mixed-race families. Rural Missouri sucks for everyone who wasn't raised there. :P Northern Nevada is good for White Republicans and some Hispanics; it sucks for Black Democrats and some Hispanics. Central North Dakota works well for Republicans, Catholics, mainline Protestants (Lutherans, Methodists, etc.); it is difficult for Muslims, African Americans, and those who get cold easily. (-20 during winter is not uncommon)

The takeaway:

You probably shouldn't find a job and spend your life in Provo - or anywhere in Utah except Salt Lake City proper, where over half of the population is not LDS. :thumbup:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken