Poem, The Impercipient

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Greyair00

Poem, The Impercipient

Post by Greyair00 » 27 Nov 2016, 23:02

This is my first post, little nervous. My story is just like a lot of people, raised LDS, mission, BYU, and worked for the church almost 10 years. Always been a reader, and have discovered many things about religion the last ten years to make me doubt most of it. I discovered a poem by Thomas Hardy which sums up my current state perfectly, I'd like to share it
with the group.

Thomas Hardy (1840–1928). Wessex Poems and Other Verses. 1898.

The Impercipient

THAT from this bright believing band
An outcast I should be,
That faiths by which my comrades stand
Seem fantasies to me,
And mirage-mists their Shining Land,
Is a drear destiny.

Why thus my soul should be consigned
To infelicity,
Why always I must feel as blind
To sights my brethren see,
Why joys they’ve found I cannot find,
Abides a mystery.

Since heart of mine knows not that ease
Which they know; since it be
That He who breathes All’s Well to these
Breathes no All’s Well to me,
My lack might move their sympathies
And Christian charity!

I am like a gazer who should mark
An inland company
Standing upfingered, with, “Hark! hark!
The glorious distant sea!”
And feel, “Alas, ’tis but yon dark
And wind-swept pine to me!”

O, doth a bird deprived of wings
Go earth-bound wilfully!
. . . .
Enough. As yet disquiet clings
About us. Rest shall we.

DarkJedi

Re: Poem, .The Impercipient

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Nov 2016, 04:49

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I too find things I can relate to in the poem.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Re: Poem, The Impercipient

Post by Ann » 30 Nov 2016, 10:04

Hi, Greyair - Glad you found us and I hope reading here helps. Thanks for the poem. Those emotions are there for me, too, sometimes. I found this quote from an Otto van Neurath early on, and it's helped me:
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction.
The ship "can be shaped entirely anew." I love that, and I'm not overly concerned anymore whether the reshaped ship flies the LDS flag because it will be whatever I have made with what God has provided me.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 30 Nov 2016, 10:40

Welcome!

I don't have a lot to add besides that the poem also stirs something in me. I get that guy.

Feel free to share details about yourself at your own pace. I will say, though, that this particular tribe is very understanding.

When you feel more like reading than writing, Google searches spelled like "site:staylds.com <topic-I'm-struggling-with>" (without the quotes) tend to turn up a lot of helpful discussions.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Greyair00

Post by Greyair00 » 01 Dec 2016, 09:30

Thank you

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 01 Dec 2016, 21:41

Tess of the D'Urbervilles was my first introduction to Thomas Hardy. I loved that book. Far from the Maddening Crowd became another favorite. Tonight, I realized that I had never read any of his poetry.

Thank you for sharing such a perfect poem. My life is richer tonight because of it.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Dec 2016, 03:57

Amen.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 06 Jan 2017, 21:39

A beautiful poem. Please write some more if you can.
Welcome to the group. We need more voices like yours.