Five year anniversary

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Gerald

Five year anniversary

Post by Gerald » 02 Oct 2016, 08:37

I was checking my user information and realized that it's been five years (give a day or so) since I joined this board. Hard to believe that five years have passed. It's been a good experience for me and an opportunity for me to read about and post ideas about the Church and the gospel that are not precisely orthodox. I appreciate the moderators and participants that make the discussions on this board a real joy to read and participate in. I particularly like that while anger and bitterness are acknowledged and sometimes expressed, they do not overwhelm the conversations. For me, what happens here is perfect. I am still an active member of the Church with a few of my own ideas that I generally keep to myself. I am personally not angry or bitter with the organization but recognize its defects and try to laugh at some of the absurdities in its social conventions (and I try to laugh at my own---underscore "try").

I linked my intro below for those interested in reading my original introduction.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2738
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

nibbler

Re: Five year anniversary

Post by nibbler » 02 Oct 2016, 08:40

:thumbup:
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Oct 2016, 09:39

Happy Anniversary,

I just went back and checked to find that this month marks 6 years for me.

Roy

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1937&hilit=when+good+things+happen
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 02 Oct 2016, 09:49

I am glad you found us, Gerald.

It is hard to believe it will be eight years for me later this month.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 02 Oct 2016, 15:22

Happy anniversary!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 Oct 2016, 16:18

It made me look. It is 2 years for me this month. And I still have not been kicked off!

I want to express my thanks for the help all of you have been to me. I REALLY do appreciate it.

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 02 Oct 2016, 20:03

I agree, this is a great, safe place to mourn and explore unorthodox ideas and methods to stay connected to the church. It was a lifeline for me when I was in a dark place. I'm coming up on three years as part of the forum.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 07 Oct 2016, 14:04

It's interesting how that time can go by like that...glad you're here Gerald.

What is your general feel when you look back at early posts and your intro? Do you feel much different now then you did then?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 09 Oct 2016, 05:57

Good question, Heber. I don't know that my attitudes and beliefs have changed much in five years. However, they have resolved and sharpened. I have been able to say more confidently to myself "I believe this" or "I don't believe that." Obviously, reading this board has played a major role in that clarification. I haven't always agreed with everything (who does) but I have been given plenty of food for thought.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---