No memory of the past

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: No memory of the past

Post by Heber13 » 12 Sep 2016, 11:48

Mkfly wrote:so my question is without my past can I have a testimony? Without experiences can I be strong?
Yes, I think you can have a testimony as you continue to experience things today that help you stay close to the spirit and close to God. Perhaps you have unique challenges with this, and perhaps those weaknesses help you learn and become strong in ways that you could not without your situation. But is it possible to stay strong and have a testimony? Yes, I think it is.
Mkfly wrote:My memory issue has really made me begin to think about who I am and am I growing. Someone earlier said to just be a good person. This is not hard to do, but I cant bench mark my progress. Maybe that is the logical side of me wanting validity.
These are some good thoughts as well to reflect on today about where you are and how you feel and how you experience church daily.

Perhaps something God wants you to learn is to let go of benchmarking progress, and as Sam and others mention, look at how you live the gospel today.

I think we often want validity...and that is OK. But perhaps we can learn to have faith to be acceptable to God as we are now, even in the absence of validity by measures of success we think are important, or measures of acceptance from others.

I think you may have opportunities to feel at peace when you reflect on these questions you have and how you feel about it. I think many of us can, in many different circumstances, these questions are good ones to wrestle with.

Welcome to the site. I look forward to learning more from your posts.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Mkfly

Post by Mkfly » 14 Sep 2016, 16:33

Heber13 wrote:
Mkfly wrote:so my question is without my past can I have a testimony? Without experiences can I be strong?
Yes, I think you can have a testimony as you continue to experience things today that help you stay close to the spirit and close to God. Perhaps you have unique challenges with this, and perhaps those weaknesses help you learn and become strong in ways that you could not without your situation. But is it possible to stay strong and have a testimony? Yes, I think it is.
Mkfly wrote:My memory issue has really made me begin to think about who I am and am I growing. Someone earlier said to just be a good person. This is not hard to do, but I cant bench mark my progress. Maybe that is the logical side of me wanting validity.
These are some good thoughts as well to reflect on today about where you are and how you feel and how you experience church daily.

Perhaps something God wants you to learn is to let go of benchmarking progress, and as Sam and others mention, look at how you live the gospel today.

I think we often want validity...and that is OK. But perhaps we can learn to have faith to be acceptable to God as we are now, even in the absence of validity by measures of success we think are important, or measures of acceptance from others.

I think you may have opportunities to feel at peace when you reflect on these questions you have and how you feel about it. I think many of us can, in many different circumstances, these questions are good ones to wrestle with.

Welcome to the site. I look forward to learning more from your posts.

Thanks for your comments. I can obviously continue to apply the Gospel and feel the testimony growth on a daily basis. That I believe I have been doing for 35 years. But it sure would be nice to keep the feelings or learning or experiences to build upon.
I to have thought about, what am I to learn hear. And my only conclusion is that God wants me to walk in faith or just keep planting seeds and never see the growth.
Just wish I did not have this added challenge. I have argued with God on numerous occasions what he wants from me. And they only answer I get is keep going.
Thanks
Mkfly

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 14 Sep 2016, 19:29

"Get going" is, essentially, the core of "eternal progression" - so I think it is excellent advice.

We tend to over-complicate things, so I like the simplicity of that advice.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken