Long time reader, first time commenter

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
nibbler

Re: Long time reader, first time commenter

Post by nibbler » 22 Jun 2016, 11:42

Weaselgirl wrote:FWIW, it turns out "weasel" is a Very Funny Word. And weasels in general are just funny looking. I put a lot of stock in funny.
So... not because of Pauly Shore? Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-dy.
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough

Weaselgirl

Post by Weaselgirl » 22 Jun 2016, 11:50

Nope, definitely NOT Pauly Shore.

But "Buddy" is also a Very Funny Word.

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Jun 2016, 17:19

Weaselgirl wrote:Roy, if your ward is anything like mine, it could take several years before anyone notices, har. Also, what repercussions? What are they gonna do, make Sunday School MORE boring?

If you don't mind me asking, what churches have you had good experiences with? (Asking for a friend, heh heh.)
I truly am hoping that nobody notices. As for repercussions, I worry about people ostracizing us as apostates unofficially and officially perhaps not let me bestow the Aaronic priesthood on my 8 year old son in 4 more years.

We tend to connect more to churches that are more accepting and inclusive. In Iowa it was a Baptist church. Their initials were FBC=First Baptist Church but they had changed it in most of their literature to read FBC=Faith Building Community. I met with the pastor there and he told me, "You can be saved and be Mormon, but it won't be the Mormonism that saves you."

Now we live on the west coast. The church that we have connected most with is a local Assembly of God church. They have embarked on a marketing push of the subtitle "a place to belong". It is a growing church with paid youth and children's pastors, wonderful "small groups" and other programs, and the most welcoming and accepting vibe I have ever encountered. They seem to do so much with the local rehabilitation center and battered woman's shelter that these organizations regularly refer individuals. We have been participating at this church for the last 5 years being openly (if discreetly) Mormon and no one has made us to feel as though we are not a welcome part of their faith community.

I see so many people at this church that are connecting with God and that I believe would not be able to succeed in an LDS environment. They are having their spiritual needs met in ways that, for many of them, would not be possible in the LDS church. I am glad that they have other options than the LDS approach.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 23 Jun 2016, 05:05

I feel like the Church isn't doing a good job of being a church, and because of that I don't see the point in being involved there any more.

Bingo. I see it when I talk about my community work with members. Their eyes glaze over. They see that I will be of no use in the church to them so long as I am so busy with other pursuits. it is like I am a unit to be enlisted in whatever needs the Ward has. So they lose interest in you. I slowly trained my Bishop, whose first call was to say "We need an executive secretary". Great. What about what I need right now? YOu haven't seen me at church for a few years now (been to a different Ward), perhaps we should address any underlying issues that might prevent me from simply latching on to whatever the Ward needs right now?

These thoughts ran through my mind....I feel, at times, the church is a bit like the Borg on star trek where it assimilates our skills and makes us part of the hive/collective, with very little thought for our individual needs and individuality.

However, you can still be at peace with it, without leaving it. Lots of us have done that...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Ann

Post by Ann » 23 Jun 2016, 07:56

Weaselgirl wrote:Meanwhile, there's Primary and Ward Choir that keep me sane. Well. Relatively sane. I'm still me.
Hi, Weaselgirl - I'm glad you'll be posting and look forward to hearing more. It's easy to think that your own problems with the church are the most unsolvable ones. Part of me think I could solve the "lived experience" ones pretty easily, and would prefer them over my truth/history ones. But you remind me that it's all daunting.

Hang on to ward choir and wring everything out of it you can. I literally thank heaven at least once a week that I have an interest and skill that keeps me feeling safe and useful and fed at church.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Weaselgirl

Post by Weaselgirl » 23 Jun 2016, 08:07

Ann wrote:
Weaselgirl wrote:Meanwhile, there's Primary and Ward Choir that keep me sane. Well. Relatively sane. I'm still me.
Hi, Weaselgirl - I'm glad you'll be posting and look forward to hearing more. It's easy to think that your own problems with the church are the most unsolvable ones. Part of me think I could solve the "lived experience" ones pretty easily, and would prefer them over my truth/history ones. But you remind me that it's all daunting.

Hang on to ward choir and wring everything out of it you can. I literally thank heaven at least once a week that I have an interest and skill that keeps me feeling safe and useful and fed at church.
Yeah, I find that I read other people's experiences and think that they just need to do X or Y and they'll feel fine about things. Where with MY situation, I mean, how do you fix that? But I'm sure it all has to do with each individual's life experience and how they interpret things and stuff. Like for me, I'm pretty sure I exaggerate in my own mind that I am not important to anyone. Like a mopey teenager would. :smile: Which is fine until I see myself actually forgotten about. And I'm sure other people who have a hard time making the Church History thing work for them would do much better if that hadn't been such a clustercuss over the years. I find that stuff mildly annoying. Others find it deafening.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jun 2016, 11:06

Love the avatar! Cute little weasel!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."