Just joined. Prayerfully considering a return to the LDS Chu

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
flameburns623

Re: Just joined. Prayerfully considering a return to the LDS

Post by flameburns623 » 07 Jun 2016, 04:53

Yes, I will focus on things I can affirm, not on things that might make the Bishop uncomfortable.

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Jun 2016, 09:51

LookingHard wrote:don't tell your bishop "what you don't believe". Instead tell him what you struggle believing.
I say "I have hope and faith in eternal promises that are so beautiful that I want them to be true, but I still struggle with doubts." I will not go into specifics. I have only ever gone into detail about how we equate church service as "binding" God to deliver blessings - and then those blessings might not materialize in quite the way that we have come to expect. Essentially, that we collectively tend to overpromise on the happiness and blessings category.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 07 Jun 2016, 10:06

flameburns623 wrote:There's a new bishop in charge of my ward, as of last week. We will be getting together in the next couple of weeks to discuss my situation. I'm going to spend the next several days preparing to sit down with him.
Who asked for the meeting? Is it you or your bishop that wants to make your beliefs a subject that gets discussed during the meeting?

When discussing beliefs with an ecclesiastical leader I've never made it past:

Leader: How is your testimony?
Me: Fine.

I think that's all either of us have ever had the time for. :smile:

Good luck. If you want, let us know how it goes.
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough

flameburns623

Post by flameburns623 » 07 Jun 2016, 12:00

I of course have been asking for the meeting, which is needful if I am to be rebaptised and have my ordinances restored.