Who am I and why am I here?

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Ann

Re: Who am I and why am I here?

Post by Ann » 13 Jan 2016, 11:34

Hi, LIP. I'm glad you're here and hope you'll enjoy it. There's so much good reading here and also emotional support.

One thing that helped me was to stop looking at Mormonism only and start looking at religion generally. Going to a site like realclearreligion.org (I think?) or the faith channels at Patheos has been educational and comforting. We're not the only ones with problems. If you have oodles of time - his discussions seem to take forever, especially the intros - I recommend Mormon Matters.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Jan 2016, 12:30

Welcome LIP
Ann wrote: One thing that helped me was to stop looking at Mormonism only and start looking at religion generally. Going to a site like realclearreligion.org (I think?) or the faith channels at Patheos has been educational and comforting. We're not the only ones with problems. If you have oodles of time - his discussions seem to take forever, especially the intros - I recommend Mormon Matters.
In regards to fraud - Religion is almost always exempt from this designation because it often deals with the improvable. To make a legal case of fraud you need do demonstrate that individuals told you something that they knew not to be true in order to get some sort of benefit/gain from you. Therefore, legally speaking religion has had a sort of "buyer beware" attached to it.

I agree with Ann that religion generally has the same sort of issues that occur in our church. We are all just people trying to build meaningful lives and get along the best we can... just like everyone else.

This is a safe place to discuss the issues as we continue our unique journeys forward.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jan 2016, 17:49

I am a completely active member with a visible calling. I am a believer - but I believe what I believe, which is all over the map / spectrum / scale / whatever.

I have seen lots of things differently than those around me for over 40' years and have become comfortable with that simple fact. I am who I am, and I believe God understands and accepts me as I am. I believe that about you, as well.

Welcome.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Jan 2016, 18:21

Welcome, It's always good to have new participants on this site.
New problems & new opinions & new views & solutions.
My only advice at this point, don't make any rash decisions that you would want to take back later.
(my fortune cookie message for today.)