I think my faith crisis is over

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
jgaskill

I think my faith crisis is over

Post by jgaskill » 23 Jul 2015, 20:34

Yes I think it is finally over !!!! I give credit to my wife who stayed steadfast in her beliefs , would not budge etc etc . I also have to give much credit to LDS.org and the Essays that helped me get through many difficult subjects about the church. Probably the most important thing that helped me was that my wife is into near death expieriences . She had heard this lady talk named Betty Eadie she went into detail about her near death expierience . She said she actually talked to Jesus and he told her the most important thing we can do for ourselves and others is to have Love for other people !!!!! This will determine where we end up placing ourselves (which degree of glory) . Betty eadie was not a member years ago when this happened to her but she is now. Very interesting and I found this most helpful . I hope me sharing this with all of you may help others going through a faith crisis !!!!!! God Bless.

Ann

Re: I think my faith crisis is over

Post by Ann » 24 Jul 2015, 02:25

jgaskill wrote: I hope me sharing this with all of you may help others going through a faith crisis !!!!!! God Bless.
Thanks, Jack. I think we have some threads here about near death experiences. I've never tended to read about them, but maybe they would help with some of my issues right now. I'm glad things are looking up for you. :thumbup:
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 24 Jul 2015, 04:16

It is always good to hear someone coming to a comfortable spot.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Jul 2015, 04:32

:thumbup:
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jul 2015, 05:33

:thumbup: I'm glad you're feeling like you're in a better place. Please don't be a stranger, you're welcome to come back and help others.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 24 Jul 2015, 10:00

jgaskill wrote:Yes I think it is finally over !!!!
I think you first posted on July 13th. It is good for others to see that when the crisis happens, it can be worked through and can subside...which is why going slow and refraining from drastic choices (like resigning right away) are not always advised when something else can happen that help to calm the waters.

I also think that it can ebb and flow. But we learn from our experience that these things can be survived and can approach the next "crisis" with more experience.

Thanks for sharing, and glad to her NDE were helpful to working through some things.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

jgaskill

Post by jgaskill » 26 Jul 2015, 07:41

I know I originally posted here on July 13th but my crisis actually began around Feb. 1, 2015. I have spent many many days investigating and reading asking questions so on and so forth. A crisis in faith is a tough road and as many have expressed mostly an unexpected one. I do enjoy reading all the posts here as many are finding ways to stay Lds . Faith does have a great deal to do with it and must be exercised like any other part of the body and or mind. My faith was shaken but I am still in the church where I plan to be for life !!!! God Bless and I will write again soon. Jack

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 Jul 2015, 12:58

We had talked about the NDE of Sister Eadie before.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2805&p=35705&hilit ... die#p35705

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4475&p=61022&hilit= ... die#p61022

Some LDS critics had criticized Sister Eadie’s work for not lining up with LDS teachings. Bro. Skousen wrote a document defending her work against such attacks. Unfortunately the link to Bro. Skousen’s document is no longer active but I copied the following excerpts from it back in the day.
We select the illnesses we suffer.
Personally, I don't think the Church has an official positionon this. We do seem to acknowledge the possibility that we had much to do with planning and accepting our lot in life, but I don't think the Church has accepted an official doctrine one wayor the other. It seems reasonable that, with everything else we believe about free agency, itmight certainly be possible.

Through choosing to die (e.g., stepping in front of a drunk driver) we may save that person from committing additional sins in the future.
Well, she admits that the idea sounds terrible to us on earth. Joseph Smith wrote an interesting declaration about the planning thatwent into the entire earth experience. "The great Jehovah contemplated the
whole of the events connected with the earth, pertaining to the plan of salvation, before it rolled into existence, or ever the morning stars sang together for joy, the past, the present and the future
WERE AND ARE WITH HIM, one eternal 'now.'... He knew the plan of salvation and pointed it out. He was acquainted with the situations of all nations and with their destiny. He ordered all things according to the council of His own will ..." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 220) So from that point of view, perhaps she is right when she observed, "There are far fewer accidents here than we imagine, especially in things that affect us eternally. The hand of God, and the path we chose before we came here, guide many of our decisions and even many of the seemingly random experiences we have." (Embraced by the Light, p. 68) Granted, she is speculating, but those are thoughts of loving sacrifice and could make a lot of sense to thoughtful Latter-day Saints.

Spirits of great intelligence may choose to enter the body of those who are mentally handicapped.
We know so little about why babies do not remain on the earth or why others are mental handicapped. If Christ contemplated the whole of events, it may well be that those of us who lived to be adults and have keen minds may have needed these trials more than others, but who knows? The Church certainly seems to have no official position on it that I know of.

A valiant spirit chose to sacrifice his mortal experience and be an alcoholic in order to sit on the street and motivate a person he had bonded to in the pre-mortal existence.
Again, an interesting thought having to do with how we joined with Jehovah about our taking part on the earth, but why not? Again, the Church has not tried to deal with these mysteries and suggests that we do not argue about them. All Eadie is doing is reporting her experience.
I am glad that you are in a better place jgaskill.

Do not be discouraged if you feel doubt again at some point in your journey. As humans we do not just follow straight linear paths. Sometimes our paths wind. Sometimes the dark moments of our journey are just as important and impactful in helping us to become our ultimate selves as the triumphs may be.

God bless. :angel:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 31 Aug 2015, 22:59

That's great to hear, jgaskill. I'm glad you're at the position in your life. :smile: I'm not there yet. I'm still working on that. I really like Betty J. Eadie. Although I'm heard from someone on Facebook say that she's not a member of the church anymore, I still find huge comfort in much of her words.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Sep 2015, 08:04

Congradulations. That has to be a record. (not sarcastic)
Keep coming back & tell us your progress. We always need positive experiences too.
As others have said, there maybe some ups & downs along the way.