Hi everyone

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
EnglishMormon

Hi everyone

Post by EnglishMormon » 20 Jul 2015, 08:54

I've just joined today, I have a strong testimony of the church, I'm very active and I would like to give a English point of view for any problems you have with the gospel in America (big cultural difference) have any questions just ask

DarkJedi

Re: Hi everyone

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Jul 2015, 11:33

Welcome. We do have our regular contributor SamBee from across the pond, but more are always welcome. So long as we all maintain forum etiquette and respect for the opinions of each other all is well.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 20 Jul 2015, 11:45

We are always glad to have another chap join in.

This site is quite different than most. It is probably the most accepting site you will find, but we don't fight or put down others or their opinions/beleifs. You can be just as accepted here as an atheist exmo as a TBM. I just wouldn't expect 2 people on opposite ends of that spectrum to always be able to even comprehend the other's point a view.

I have listened to many podcasts from Gina Colvin (a Kiwi) and she has opened my eyes even more to how American-centric the church is. I don't even live near Utah and I just have a big question mark above my head when the church makes a press announcement about local health care in Utah. I am sure it is a bit the same feeling, just amplified a few orders of magnitude.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Jul 2015, 12:44

Welcome. Glad to have you join in.
Can you give us more of your background or history?
It helps us to understand who you are.
Where you're coming from. (In the spiritual sense.)
Some of us have always been strong in our faith.
Some have gone through a crisis, adjusted their belief system & moved on.
Some continue to struggle & may leave altogether, for a period of time or forever.

EnglishMormon

Post by EnglishMormon » 20 Jul 2015, 13:10

I was born into the church and grew up in it, I just felt the spirit and just accepted what I was taught. I didn't go on a mission, I got married at 19 sealed in the temple, have children, and have served as young men's counselor, elders quorum president, ward clerk and nursery. I'm just starting to deeply look more into the creation which is very interesting, also I love the topic of the second coming, love walking dead, family guy etc. Kings of Leon and foo fighters best music. But I'm VERY GRATEFUL for what life skills I've learnt from church

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 20 Jul 2015, 19:34

Welcome, EnglishMormon. It's great to have somebody from England in our mist. I also like the Walking Dead. I hardly ever watch Family Guy anymore, but I do watch the Cleveland Show quite a bit. I'll be looking forward to hear from your perspectives.

Ann

Post by Ann » 20 Jul 2015, 23:19

Hi, EnglishMormon. :wave: Glad you're here. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey, and to having another person around using words like "whilst."
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Jul 2015, 06:00

Ann wrote:Hi, EnglishMormon. :wave: Glad you're here. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey, and to having another person around using words like "whilst."
Ah yes. "whilst" - the dead give away that someone is from across the pond. Just to be clear - no offense intended. As has been said - the US and England are two countries divided by a common language. :-) I have many Brit friends from work and we both enjoy seeing what is different and the same between our 2 cultures.