My Introduction

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
nibbler

Re: My Introduction

Post by nibbler » 17 Jul 2015, 08:16

I hear you Jack. Our last SM's theme was Joseph Smith. Essentially:
DarkJedi wrote:There is no question we don't talk of Christ anywhere near enough and then we wonder why others don't think we're Christian.
When I was more orthodox I was right there on the front lines arguing how we were indeed Christian. Now that I'm more removed from the fight I see how I was arguing from a position of "this is our theology" and they were arguing from a position of "these are your practices." We were both right, we are and we aren't Christian... just like everyone else that makes the claim I suppose.

During the beginnings of a faith crisis our pulse can race and make us think that we should be moving at a quickened pace. The advice I always see here (that's still hard to do) is to slow down. The problems with the church are the same yesterday, today, and forever. ;) There's still good too.

When I started out with something that was perfect and later found flaws I had the tendency to want to find every flaw, to find just how far from perfection everything actually was. I lost sight of a few things. 1) I may have been rooting out all the flaws in an attempt to define what perfection meant to me. What is perfection? Is anything truly "perfect?" 2) After a while all I started to see were the flaws. I became blind to what was good. I'm still working on that, it's so much easier (and often funner) to be a critic.

Welcome to StayLDS.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Jul 2015, 19:51

Welcome Jack, we're glad you're here.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 31 Aug 2015, 10:52

Welcome Jack, you said:
The church has a lot of positive things about it and some not so positive.
What are the positive things you see in the church?
Are the positive things worth stays for?

We know what you're going through. Keep coming back.