A reverse engineer

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Heber13

Re: A reverse engineer

Post by Heber13 » 01 Jul 2015, 13:05

LeftRightCoast wrote: I offered: teaches sound principles -- love, caring, giving-- and it's an amazing organization. He advised: hold onto those bits of knowledge, do them and let them lead you to whatever insights come next.
That is wise advice indeed, and very inspiring.

Some might call that "cafeteria" mormonism and discouraging that approach...but I find it realistic and full of faith and hope that there can be some things (like Joseph Smith) that are not yet revealed to us, and not agree with or believe in, and yet we focus on the good things we do believe in, waiting for "whatever insight comes next".
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Re: A reverse engineer

Post by nibbler » 02 Jul 2015, 07:06

LeftRightCoast wrote:Many serious reservations about Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and Ezra Taft Benson et al, remain. I still have significant disagreements and doubts over variety of current and former church policies, practices and teachings. ...
Before my FC I sill had reservations and disagreements but I always blamed myself, the problem was always on my end of the equation. That can be a destructive mindset when there are policies, practices, and teachings that really should be disagreed with.

Post FC I still have reservations and disagreement but now I recognize that everyone is imperfect, including myself. I can disagree without guilt. I'm even free to disagree with myself when it becomes necessary.

Welcome to StayLDS.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil