new face

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: new face

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2015, 14:05

The church is necessary to teach the Gospel, since the Gospel would die out or get mutated without an organizational structure to promote it. Of course, the Gospel gets mutated even with churches teaching it, but I still see organized religion as necessary to preserve teachings. It's the Mulekite principle, whether that story is historically accurate or not.

Also, the teaching of systematic theology is dependent on churches - with the good and bad that occurs through that systematization.

Finally, for many people (the large majority, I would argue), community in all its iterations is necessary to be and feel fully human. Church (organized religion) plays a vital role in that part of being fully human.

Specific to the LDS Church, it is necessary to teach LDS-specific ideas - some of which I absolutely love and that might not exist, especially within Christianity, without it. There really are some uniquely Mormon concepts that I think the world is better for having, even if there are more that are shared to varying degrees and some that I hope are pruned from our vineyard.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gingerbat

Re: new face

Post by Gingerbat » 27 May 2015, 17:19

"There really are some uniquely Mormon concepts that I think the world is better for having, even if there are more that are shared to varying degrees and some that I hope are pruned from our vineyard".

I fully agree with this statement. I love the teachings, in most aspects, but I struggle immensely with the way that the church teaches it's youth, especially in the Idaho/Utah area. It's part of the reason that I try so hard not to live in that area ever again.