Thanks for listening..

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
DarkJedi

Re: Thanks for listening..

Post by DarkJedi » 22 May 2015, 20:59

I was 30, my wife was 24 when we married. I was an RM (I went late because I am a convert). I have told each of my kids I have never regretted waiting to find the right one and that I really knew I wanted to be married when we got married. I also emphasize the living I got to do before we met - not that it was all that spectacular, but I've never had a day where I sat and thought "I wish I didn't get married so young because I didn't get to do x." My kids also know I don't consider my mission to be the best two years of my life (and not because it was only 18 months! :P )
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 May 2015, 14:47

Welcome Annie. This may have been said already, not all of us are meant to service as full time missionaries.
I joined the church as an adult & didn't have the opportunity. My DW & I have serviced part time Stake missions over the
years. The best missionary work, in my opinion, is a smiling face & a warm welcome to someone you don't know.

Keep coming back.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 May 2015, 20:09

DarkJedi wrote:My kids also know I don't consider my mission to be the best two years of my life (and not because it was only 18 months! :P )
A fellow 3/4 of a mission guy! I certainly didn't feel like I missed out anything on that last 18 months.

I wish I could know what caused them to back away from the 18 months and back to 24. I was in an English speaking mission, so I had no language to learn.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2015, 05:41

It was an issue of effectiveness for foreign-speaking missionaries - losing the most productive time most missionaries had in areas with languages that were more difficult to learn. I would have missed a couple of my most treasured experiences in Japan if I had not been able to serve those last six months. (I was called for 18 months, and the change occurred while I was in the MTC. We were given the choice to serve any length of time from 18-24 months.)

The change highlights that there are lots of administrative decisions that are not divine revelation - and that it's okay. They responded to concerns in lowering the time to 18 months (including, ironically, the difference in length for men and women), but they lost something important in the change - so they, correctly, imo, went back to what they had been doing.

That also highlights the tricky nature of change. Sometimes, we get change right; sometimes, we get change wrong. Nearly always, it's hard to know which will be the case until hindsight brings clarity.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 27 May 2015, 08:21

Ray DeGraw wrote:It was an issue of effectiveness for foreign-speaking missionaries - losing the most productive time most missionaries had in areas with languages that were more difficult to learn. I would have missed a couple of my most treasured experiences in Japan if I had not been able to serve those last six months. (I was called for 18 months, and the change occurred while I was in the MTC. We were given the choice to serve any length of time from 18-24 months.)

The change highlights that there are lots of administrative decisions that are not divine revelation - and that it's okay. They responded to concerns in lowering the time to 18 months (including, ironically, the difference in length for men and women), but they lost something important in the change - so they, correctly, imo, went back to what they had been doing.

That also highlights the tricky nature of change. Sometimes, we get change right; sometimes, we get change wrong. Nearly always, it's hard to know which will be the case until hindsight brings clarity.
As I indirectly hinted, I also suspect it was a language thing.

But then I have to think if for foreign speaking missionaries their months 19-24 are their "most productive", then we don't allow the sister missionaries speaking a foreign language to have those "best 6 months" of their mission?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2015, 09:54

Yep, there is that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken