SoCal convert of old age and still learning, wondering

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
SilentDawning

Re: SoCal convert of old age and still learning, wondering

Post by SilentDawning » 23 Jan 2015, 14:28

After analyzing my own background, I realized that when I separated the Church from the gospel, that's when the challenges started. I don't really regret that from happening -- in a way, I think it was like eating from the fruit of the tree of knowledge -- it brings sorrow and hardship, but at least I think I know the truth better.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the journey of being a unique individual in the LDS Church.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 23 Jan 2015, 18:41

Thanks for your responses. I am looking forward to some interaction on this level. I agree with so much of what each of you said, from the hillel quote to looking through a glass darkly.

I am redefining what a prophet is right now. Maybe I'll post on that at some point. Thanks again for the welcomes!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 23 Jan 2015, 21:15

Welcome.

I grew up in San Diego and Riverside Counties, 1964 to 1972. I was not LDS at the time. I was active in Scouting.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

West

Post by West » 26 Jan 2015, 00:55

Welcome to the forums here, Scoutmaster. :) I like that it's a faith evolution for you, since evolution never truly stops, it just keeps adapting and improving. And that's very lovely. ^^
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran