SoCal convert of old age and still learning, wondering

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
LDS_Scoutmaster

SoCal convert of old age and still learning, wondering

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 22 Jan 2015, 22:03

I've been all over the range on the faith scale. I am a convert, shortly thereafter served a mission. I was very TBM, and literal in my thinking, almost extremist at times. MIT and am very active. I've read all kinds of "anti" literature, even before joining. Some was typical from other religions trying to convert, others were historical questions, which later started my faith evolution. I've redefined my definitions of the gospel, and finally separated "the church" from "the gospel". Hope that I can interact and be helpful to people going through the same or similar circumstances.

Idk if I'm unique in that I didnt grow up in the church, but I also want to help my own children who are.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: SoCal convert of old age and still learning, wondering

Post by hawkgrrrl » 22 Jan 2015, 22:25

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a unique and valuable perspective to offer.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Jan 2015, 03:47

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I am also a convert who served a mission and I was very TBM. I also found it necessary to separate the gospel and the church and that's why I can StayLDS. Welcome to our community. I hope you feel comfortable in stopping by and sharing your perspectives.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 23 Jan 2015, 07:44

Welcome. We are glad to have you here.

I am losing track of how many years and how many times I have been scoutmaster. I assume you must have been a SM at some time given your login name.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jan 2015, 09:23

Welcome. I look forward to hearing from you and am glad you are participating with us here.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jan 2015, 09:46

Welcome! Are there any particular topics you are or have searched through that has driven you to get online and want to discuss things?

I'm glad you joined the forum. I look forward to learning from your posts.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 23 Jan 2015, 10:03

Welcome Scoutmaster. I hope this site is able to help with whatever you are seeking. It's been a lifesaver for me.

As a side note, thanks for your service as scoutmaster. It's a difficult calling and can be extremely time intensive and there are few callings that can impact young men for the better as much as scoutmaster.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 23 Jan 2015, 10:25

Welcome.

Like DJ and yourself I'm a convert that served a FT mission and married in the temple... and that doesn't mean you're not unique. Each of us have our variants that contribute to our unique perspective. I look forward to hearing from yours.
Roadrunner wrote:As a side note, thanks for your service as scoutmaster. It's a difficult calling and can be extremely time intensive and there are few callings that can impact young men for the better as much as scoutmaster.
+1

I earned my Eagle in a troop sponsored by the Methodist Church. Having not grown up in the church my experiences with scouting went a very long way in preparing me for a FT mission.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

university

Post by university » 23 Jan 2015, 11:22

Welcome! I look forward to reading your perspectives.

Ann

Post by Ann » 23 Jan 2015, 11:53

Hi, Scoutmaster - I'm also glad you're here and look forward to hearing from you. "Wondering" is a good word for all of this.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11