Hello from WA!

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
West

Re: Hello from WA!

Post by West » 21 Jan 2015, 00:40

Welcome to the forums, Grudunza! It's always lovely seeing more viewpoints around. :)
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

StoneGypsy

Post by StoneGypsy » 26 Jan 2015, 11:51

Hello, Grudunza. I'm not a regular contributor here, but I'm a faithful lurker. I especially love reading the intros and learning the different stories. They help me feel less alone. I haven't commented in a while but yours really spoke to me and I wanted to say hi and welcome.
I feel it's important for people to know that they can be faithful members and fully belong and serve and be blessed in the body of Christ that is His church even if they accept evolution, have a beard, disagree with some particulars of policy/history, etc.
I couldn't agree more, and I couldn't have said it better. I think the perception of what is "acceptable" in the church is often skewed, and some people seem to think standing out or having a different opinion on anything is wrong and needs to be corrected. I consider myself a TBM, but I'm there with you on nudging the tent doors a little wider.

And I had to laugh at your beard and colored shirts setting you apart from the rest of the flock. It reminded me how, as a YW, I always kind of had a thing for the YM with the colored shirts at church. Especially with suspenders. Not sure now if I liked the colors, the boys, or just the fact that they stood out from everyone else. Funny that I married a white-shirt-and-tie guy who has since stopped believing, and as far as I know, those other boys I liked are still happily wearing their colored shirts to church. (Not at all sad I married DH, but the very idea of judging TBM-ness by shirt color...... :lol: )

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 Jan 2015, 12:26

StoneGypsy wrote:I'm a faithful lurker.
I like that term. :-)
StoneGypsy wrote:...as a YW, I always kind of had a thing for the YM with the colored shirts at church. Especially with suspenders. Not sure now if I liked the colors, the boys, or just the fact that they stood out from everyone else. Funny that I married a white-shirt-and-tie guy who has since stopped believing, and as far as I know, those other boys I liked are still happily wearing their colored shirts to church. (Not at all sad I married DH, but the very idea of judging TBM-ness by shirt color...... :lol: )
How ironic! :-)

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 26 Jan 2015, 14:42

StoneGypsy wrote:...as far as I know, those other boys I liked are still happily wearing their colored shirts to church. (Not at all sad I married DH, but the very idea of judging TBM-ness by shirt color...... :lol: )
I think an interesting point has been made in the past that those who are comfortable wearing colored shirts to church may be better equipped to weather the storms of historical issues. The point being they are used to interacting with the church on their own terms, they don't get too stuck on fine points. I think it is an area worth exploring, maybe even for a gospel topic ;) .
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 26 Jan 2015, 15:58

Hi and welcome, I resonate with much of what you said, although in honesty, I am all over the place.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2015, 09:09

WA = Western Australia?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."