Stepping out of the shadows

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
SilentDawning

Re: Stepping out of the shadows

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Dec 2014, 12:34

Holy Cow wrote:Anyway, when Heber finally felt like a broken man, and brought his wife to Joseph to deliver her up, Joseph told him it was just a test.
I had this listed, in my head, as another reason for using the plural marriage doctrine -- to prove the loyalty of the people who professed to be faithful in the church. To prove the loyalty of people he would appoint to key positions.

There are times when I wondered if the Fanny Alger thing was a gateway. JS resorted to the multiple wives concept to get himself out of a bind due to his attraction to Fanny. In the process, he saw that he would not lose supporters by introducing the multiple wives concept -- which has a number of benefits including a) variety in physical relationships b) proof of faith and commitment c) the potential for internal growth in the church d) longevity of a person's name/seed e) justification for indiscretions and f) variety in skills within households.

It's odd -- many very good people appear to have bought into the concept, so it appears that when couched in morality or doctrine, what is normally considered adultery becomes acceptable even in the eyes of the pure hearted.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 17 Dec 2014, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 17 Dec 2014, 12:34

[Admin Note: I think we've thread-jacked Holy Cow's introduction by talking about Joseph Smith and RSR and Fanny Alger. I will copy this to start a new thread under History and Doctrine Discussion so we can keep the discussion going, but leave HC's intro to be about him.

Keep the discussion going on JS by posting on the other thread by following this link....viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6156]
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Dec 2014, 15:36

Welcome Holy Cow!

I love your picture. It truly captures the initial shock of a faith crisis.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 17 Dec 2014, 16:31

Roy wrote:Welcome Holy Cow!

I love your picture. It truly captures the initial shock of a faith crisis.

Ha! Glad you caught that! He needs a little thought bubble saying, "Brigham Young said WHAT??! Holy Cow!!"
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 17 Dec 2014, 16:33

Holy Cow wrote:He needs a little thought bubble saying, "Brigham Young said WHAT??! Holy Cow!!"
:lol: Bwahaha
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 17 Dec 2014, 16:59

Heber13 wrote:
Holy Cow wrote:He needs a little thought bubble saying, "Brigham Young said WHAT??! Holy Cow!!"
:lol: Bwahaha
Did BY every say anything that raised an eyebrow?

I like the picture also. I guess my picture shows me a bit more as an elderly silverback. If the shoe fits!

West

Post by West » 17 Dec 2014, 19:23

Hahaha, welcome, Holy Cow! Your username and picture are quite the delight. :)
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 21 Dec 2014, 06:57

I'm a little late at this, but welcome. Your avatar looks like me when I found out about all the historical stuff :lol:

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 23 Dec 2014, 11:36

Holy cow! Your introduction captured much of what I am feeling now. Welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you. It's nice to know that there are so many others like me out there!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 23 Dec 2014, 12:59

FaithfulSkeptic wrote:It's nice to know that there are so many others like me out there!
There are more than we realize. Probably more right in your ward than you realize. Just needs to be a forum to be safe to express it....and...ta-dah! StayLDS.com