UPDATE JAN 29, 2019 - My story.......thanks to all for your great posts & comments

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Awakening

Re: My story.......thanks to all for your great posts & comm

Post by Awakening » 23 Nov 2014, 11:39

Heber13 wrote: love your story and can sense a lot of relief on your part of dealing with the difficult things your family has gone through. I love hearing stories where spouses are troubled, concerned, confused, and even hurt and yet can find ways to stay committed to the relationship, to the person they love, even if the circumstances are changing and difficult.
I appreciate your kind words. I do want to mention that initially I was filled with sadness and despair so hopefully others experiencing these type of emotions will have the courage to hang in there. This is by far one of the most difficult experience we have been through. With that being said, the difficulties we face often offer the sweetest rewards.

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 23 Nov 2014, 11:44

Gerald wrote:I think there will be pressures to "toe the party line" wherever you may be. For most active Mormons, the Church provides an important social network and for those living in the Mormon Belt it may be the ONLY social network (aside from family who is usually also Mormon). Since participating in this board, I've come to see that Mormons come in many different stripes. And just because these particular stripes aren't visible to everyone doesn't mean anything. There are TBMs, there are less actives, there are antis, there are Social Mormons, there are lazy Mormons, there are busy Mormons, there are New Order Mormons, there are confused Mormons, and there are combinations of all of the above. Each one of us has to make sense of this world and that beyond it, to a certain degree, in our own way.

Boy have I come to know how true this was. I am surprised I didn't notice this so much before. Thank you!

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 23 Nov 2014, 11:47

NewLight wrote:This is a good group of people here and I personally have learned a lot from them, from being able to distinguish the "Church" from the "gospel" to learning how better to show compassion and understand people who are different than me. I also like that people are generally positive here in spite of challenges they face and I think you will like that as well.

Welcome Sister Awakening! I am so glad you have posted your story here and that you are getting a lot out of this forum.This is a good group of people here and I personally have learned a lot from them, from being able to distinguish the "Church" from the "gospel" to learning how better to show compassion and understand people who are different than me. I also like that people are generally positive here in spite of challenges they face and I think you will like that as well. :clap:

Thanks for turning me on to this board Brother Newlight! :thumbup: I agree with you. I love the idea of distinguishing church from gospel. For me, it removes pressure and guilt. I am grateful however for the organization of the church in providing so many ways to reach out to others in need and friendship. Boy, when we moved, those men and women were ready to jump in and we had the truck emptied in no time.

It has been really great for me to step back through this move as well as my evolving feelings this past year and get to know all different kinds of people not just members. Not that I would intentionally not be friendly towards others with different beliefs and/or faith in the past but when I spent so much of my time in church, serving with others, participating and helping in ward activities, etc. then the people I generally came to know the best were the members. There are wonderful, good people all around us.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Nov 2014, 13:48

I did read your intro shortly after it was posted but I have had a busy few days and have not had time to respond. Thank you for sharing your story, and I am glad you found us (and for those who pointed you here). I hope you visit frequently and share with us as well as letting us share with you. Welcome, and peace.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 23 Nov 2014, 15:26

DarkJedi wrote:I did read your intro shortly after it was posted but I have had a busy few days and have not had time to respond. Thank you for sharing your story, and I am glad you found us (and for those who pointed you here). I hope you visit frequently and share with us as well as letting us share with you. Welcome, and peace.
Thank you! I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and remarks. Thanks for sharing as well.