I'm new here - my story

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
church0333

Re: I'm new here - my story

Post by church0333 » 09 Feb 2014, 22:28

You do seem to be pretty level headed about all this, acknowledging the positive experiences you have had along with the new things you are learning. Trying to make all this work can have it's ups and downs but it helps when we have other people to whom we can bounce ideas around. Welcome and it was a great intro.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 10 Feb 2014, 00:08

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and I look forward to hearing more from you!
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 10 Feb 2014, 02:28

Welcome to community.
NewLight wrote: As far as church callings go, I have served in a variety. Ward missionary, primary, Elders quorum presidencies and even first counselor in the bishopric were in the mix and I enjoyed them all. I was released from the bishopric only 3 ½ years ago and am now teaching primary with my youngest daughter. I also just got called into the High Priest group leadership earlier this year (hmm, I wonder how that will go if I need to teach a lesson :? )
It's challenging but possible. Have a look through Ray's lesson plans that he does for the youth Sunday School every week:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3481

Also, I teach the Gospel Principles class at church every week and actually quite enjoy the challenge of taking exclusively LDS resources (allowing for General Authority books occasionally) to teach a "moderate mormonism" that works for me. I never teach nor testify of anything I don't believe. I occasionally say things like "Joseph Smith said that he..." (or whatever else) when there's a part of the lesson I don't personally believe but need to teach for the structure of the lesson.

All of my lesson plans are here:
http://manyotherhands.blogspot.co.uk/se ... principles
Thankfully, since I remained in ignorant bliss for so long in my life, I have had enough other life experience to give the leadership the benefit of the doubt. I have empathy for the brethren who “inherit” problems as they move into high levels of leadership since I myself have inherited problems by accepting new positions at work. As that happened, I had to spend time trying to understand what problems were passed my way before I could think about how to solve them. I'm sure church leadership is the same way. Sometimes I think the brethren are paralyzed and have no clue what to do.
This is a great attitude. I agree, they're doing the best they can with what they inherit. As I've said in other threads. I don't believe there are many really bad people in the church, just plenty of well-intentioned bad communicators (me included).

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 10 Feb 2014, 20:10

Those are great resources, Mackay11, thanks for sharing them.

I also took a peak at your blog -- good stuff, especially the explanation at becoming a "cafeteria Mormon". Learning about Joseph's polygamy/polyandry also blew me away when I learned about it in detail within the last year. It totally floored me and I was born LDS! Anyway, learning about that has given me the same type of perspective that you have.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 10 Feb 2014, 20:33

Welcome to the site!

richalger

Post by richalger » 06 Oct 2014, 03:31

As you can probably tell, I visit here on again, off again. Faith refinement describes my experience better than faith crisis or faith transition.

I enjoyed hearing your story.