Something happened

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Jazernorth

Something happened

Post by Jazernorth » 05 Sep 2013, 08:55

This is a long story that I'm going to try to put into words and I ain't a wordsmith, so there could very well be some misunderstandings as I describe why I'm here.

I grew up in a small mormon town, served a mission (I call it my two-year torture, always have, even while serving). The mission was more of an expected term than anything else. Since then I have told every single young man who I work with to only go if "they" want to go. I struggled with church while in college, but mostly I thought it was "the people". After a few years I realized it wasn't "the people", it was something else. I kept going. I moved across the country and found that the church was more bearable outside the 4-mormon-state-area, but just that more bearable. I eventually found my love and got married in the temple, just like you are supposed to. I "felt" inspired to marry her, but now looking back it was just love. Simple as that and nothing more. After a year or so we decided to have a child. This wasn't an "inspired" decision, it was a nature taking it's course of desiring children. The birth and of my little girl was awesome! I have never regretted getting married or having children. My wife, which I knew would happen, suffered from Post Traumatic Stress from the pregnancy and birthing processes. This I was ready and watching for the signs. I got her help, but that help was ludicrous at best. They got the government involved. This is where the story takes a twist. I was trying to follow "my feelings", just like I was taught in church. I prayed, I fasted, I attended the temple. I did what my "feelings" said to do. I GOT SCREWED! The government just kept getting worse and worse and worse. They took my child from us 2 times. I fought like no other for her. What saved her and me? It wasn't my feelings. I eventually said, Screw You Feelings. I switched gears and went to logic. Once I did that, I got rid of the government, got my child back. My family (siblings) were awesome. My oldest sister knew just what to do and told the judge the truth and knocked CPS in the head. My "feelings" kept telling me to tell the truth and disclose everything. It also told me to work with the government, well that just made things worse. After I listened to my sister and my head, I moved my family near my siblings. This pissed off the CPS workers, but overtime and with help from my sister and mom we got rid of them and we are now one little happy family.

My problem with the whole thing, which has led me down this path 5 years later, is that my feelings were WRONG. Was it me who read the feelings wrong or is the feelings that are wrong?
Currently I'm a little disenfranchised with the whole "feeling" the spirit thing, which has driven me to not attend sunday school or priesthood. Now I'm wondering what else is wrong and what else was I told that isn't right. I can get over mistakes of man, that is easy. What I'm having a tough time with is there really a god or is this all an illusion.

That is my introduction.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Something happened

Post by Heber13 » 05 Sep 2013, 09:41

Welcome and glad you found the group.

Your story feels similar to my experience in a different set of circumstances, and caused me to go through a crisis period myself. Its a painful time. But hang in there, there are things you can learn from it. And you can survive it.

What are your thoughts on the times when Joseph Smith had feelings and they were wrong? If he was pretty close to God and that happened, surely we would also have that happen to us. How does that make sense to you?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Sep 2013, 09:44

Welcome. I know people who have gone through similar things, and I am glad you have been able to come through it with family intact.

I love the concept of studying things out in our hearts AND in our minds - that God will speak to us through both, not just through feelings. So many members don't take that message seriously, but it's part of our scriptural canon.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Sep 2013, 10:23

Welcome. I can truly relate to your story, it was in a big way following my feelings (which I truly thought were promptings of the Spirit) that led to my crisis of faith as well. That was over 10 years ago, and I haven't gotten over that yet - but I have learned to cope without relying on those feelings. I still don't know how to discern spiritual promptings from just plain emotions and I don't know that I will in this lifetime. The old "if it's good then it's OK" advice doesn't work - I was doing good things and got a bad result.

So, hang in there. Logic and thoughtful decisions might take longer, but you aren't worse off. You'll find that many of us here relate very well to what you are feeling, and just knowing that has given me hope. You and I are not alone in the world, nor are we alone in the Church - it just seems that way until you come here.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Sep 2013, 10:25

Heber13 wrote:What are your thoughts on the times when Joseph Smith had feelings and they were wrong? If he was pretty close to God and that happened, surely we would also have that happen to us. How does that make sense to you?
I hadn't really considered this before, Heber. Can you give us some examples? This intrigues me.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Post by Ann » 05 Sep 2013, 10:28

Jazernorth wrote:. . . . over time and with help from my sister and mom we got rid of them and we are now one little happy family.

My problem with the whole thing, which has led me down this path 5 years later, is that my feelings were WRONG. Was it me who read the feelings wrong or is the feelings that are wrong?
Hi, Jazernorth - Glad you're here with your family intact. A lot of people here are asking themselves the same questions. If you hunt around, you'll find lots of personal experiences and wise advice. Bottom line for me, I woke up and started using my head more. Then I looked around at church and realized lots of people have been doing this all along. I'm a little angry that it took me so long. Jacob 3:11 "...arouse the faculties of your souls...." I take that to be my mind and my heart.

Best wishes to you and your family as you continue on. I think this site will really help.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 05 Sep 2013, 11:47

Jazernorth wrote:is there really a god or is this all an illusion.
Nobody on this site is qualified to answer that long-standing human question. But I would offer that whether or not there is a God, there is Good. I think many here find that it is easier to believe in Good, because that is something that is knowable. Many here find that the Church provides a framework for believing in Good.

Whereever this takes you, just know that you are not alone, and by that I mean that this community shares much of your experience.

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 05 Sep 2013, 14:05

All - Thank you. So far this has given me something to think about.

It will take me a day or two to answer follow up questions, but since I'm trying to figure this out there will be answers to the questions.

Again, thank you.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 05 Sep 2013, 15:34

I have never found feelings and emotion to be very reliable for me. Others have better luck with it. I do tend to be an instinctive decision maker, but I just make connections quickly and come to conclusions - I don't do it based on feelings. In fact, I often have to remember to ask myself how I feel about something because logic has always been my go to, and it's not fallible either. What can I say? Raised on Star Trek, I guess. A little bit Kirk and a whole lot Spock.

Ruthiechan

Post by Ruthiechan » 05 Sep 2013, 16:58

Well now, see, the scriptures do talk about studying things out in our minds first and then talk to God about it. So I think if we're ONLY following our feelings we're skipping the reasoning part of the equation which is not a good thing.