Concerned

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
church0333

Re: Concerned

Post by church0333 » 24 Jul 2013, 00:41

I call myself a progressive Mormon or open minded Mormon or sometimes a struggling Mormon but the labels don't mean too much to me. I am a truth seeker first. I think you can find some peace and comfort here and we like it when others voice their views, so please do so when moved upon. There are a bunch of good people here and you will not be judged for your believes and feelings as long as you are respectful.

wayfarer

Concerned

Post by wayfarer » 24 Jul 2013, 08:13

ConcernedMember wrote:One question, though: If the participants here aren't considered "disaffected", what would you call it? (BTW, I don't really like the term "disaffected", but I don't have a better one at the moment). I guess I settle for "disaffected" because I have lost some affection for the church (history, doctrine, culture, policies, and procedures) over the years so dis-affected kind of seems to fit for me. (Maybe I'm in the wrong place???)
Disaffection is the beginning of enlightenment, a necessary part of the trial of our faith through which we hope to pass. I am no longer "disaffected", but we all have our days.

I have a preference to say that we are on one of many "Middle Way" paths, but in the end, I would simply be preferred to be called and authentic "Mormon" or "LDS" in the fullest sense of the word.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 24 Jul 2013, 09:11

ConcernedMember wrote:If the participants here aren't considered "disaffected", what would you call it?
Actually, I think most of us have come to the realization that labels are inadequate, because as you will find, there are many different views shared on this site.

I am not sure what I would call myself. At times I am fully engaged in my calling at church, at times I don't feel I believe much of it. So my middle way is just trying to accept what I believe in my heart, while navigating it with others around me to keep my relationships. Most of the time I find it is how I process things internally, and that allows me to let the church be what it is, and focus internally on what I should be learning.

I think there is a liberal tone here on the site...open and accepting to multiple views. At least that is what we hope to maintain... a safe place people can express views in a way that meets the website's mission and adhere to the code of conduct. And as we share with each other our experiences, it can help identify some things that seem to work for some of us.

I think we can learn from your views and experience. Please keep sharing. I look forward to learning from you. Welcome!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mackay11

Concerned

Post by mackay11 » 25 Jul 2013, 19:27

I thought it was the "Disaffected Mormon Underbelly." That soft and vulnerable part that the church should really address properly rather than ignore.

But I agree stayLDS is not the DAMU.

I'm not a disaffected Mormon. I'm just me. I'm a person making my merry little way along the path to godliness.

Mormonism is one of the modes of transport along that path that I find useful. But Mormonism is not the path.

And I'll probably say all that again in a few days. I tend to repeat myself.

mackay11

Concerned

Post by mackay11 » 25 Jul 2013, 21:19

In terms of labels, I might say "heterodox Mormon." But I'd get a funny look if I said that at church.

Or "a traveller on the path to godliness."

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 26 Jul 2013, 12:45

Concerned member, so glad you posted here because it is a place where you can question and doubt without being condemned or judged. As you get to know the group here, it will be like having good buddies in the trenches with you. They understand what you have gone through and the cognitive dissonance. Sometimes, it does feel like you are being torn apart from two sides and are going crazy. I know God led me to this place during a time I was most depressed attending church. It is not good to keep things bottled up for long. You can keep a beach ball under water for awhile but it will always pop again. You need a place where it OK to be YOU. It is also a place where you can get fresh perspectives when you are too close to a situation and problem. You may not always want to hear it, but as you think about it, you will find that it was actually God speaking to you through a person on this forum.

My husband and I are presently not in the church (we were fortunate to have a crisis of faith at the same time). We are active in the United Church of Christ at the moment and feel God has led us there. It is a gay affirming church ( we have a gay son) and also relates the gospel to you life which we love. But, we will always have Mormonism as a part of us because we were so active in the church for so long. I served a mission and my husband and I both held alot of high callings in the church. We still think like Mormons in many ways and have had to clear up alot of misconceptions about Mormons to our Christian friends. It is hard to be in the church when you have a crisis of faith because to many Mormons things are so black and white, all false or all true. People and churches are a mixed bag though. I believe God works through all churches and loves all His children so I am sure he will guide you to what is best for you.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 26 Jul 2013, 22:46

May I suggest "differently affected"?

Welcome to the site.

ConcernedMember

Post by ConcernedMember » 27 Jul 2013, 15:00

hawkgrrrl wrote:May I suggest "differently affected"?
Brilliant! Like I said, I really don't like the label "disaffected" (or other labels) either. However, it does make explaining "things" a lot easier & concise.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Jul 2013, 18:37

Ray Degraw wrote:I think most of us here still have a great deal of "affection" for some aspect of the LDS Church and Mormonism, often the people we love who are more traditional and orthodox than we are; thus, we aren't DIS-affected. The level of our affection, and the areas where we have that affection, vary widely - but all of us want to "stay LDS" in some way. even if that "way" also varies widely.
That's why I like to read Ray's posts....that describes the landscape of affection very well.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young