New! And confused!

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
doug

Re: New! And confused!

Post by doug » 28 May 2012, 10:32

Dean-

I know it can be very distressing to have people with whom we have had difficulties in leadership positions. The fact is, however, that there is nobody out there that someone hasn't had an issue with, so it's unavoidable. I read something interesting the other day about Jesus and the woman "taken in adultery" (John 8:1-11). We often use this as an example of Jesus offering forgiveness to a sinner, but the word forgiveness is never used in the context of this story. He never actually forgave her since it wasn't necessary for Him to do so -- because He never condemned her in the first place. He did recognize her error, and admonished her not to repeat it. When we forgive others it isn't that by so doing we somehow give something to them that they need. When we forgive, we give something to ourselves that we need in order to become whole. Okay, that's beginning to sound like preaching, so I'll stop.

As to being different, I suggest you wear it as a badge of honor. Not that you're better than others, but that you can be confident about your own opinions while still sharing important beliefs about the gospel with others who might not share those same opinions. There will always be those at church who will be uncomfortable around you because you force them out of their comfort zone and make them consider things they have perhaps never wanted to consider before. In any case, I'd be surprised it there weren't one or two other lurkers in your congregation who share your "liberal" views.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 28 May 2012, 14:03

Welcome! I hope we can offer something to help you carve your way! Sadly the church can be a very lonely place when you don't fit in. It's not right, heaven help us.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Roy

Post by Roy » 29 May 2012, 16:11

Welcome Dean,

I have had similar experiences and I believe I have displayed my differences as a "badge of honor" sometimes, but it can be a lonely road. I still crave approval, I still want validation.

You are among friends here.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

deancatcat

Post by deancatcat » 03 Jun 2012, 13:28

Hi Everyone, I refused to meet with the Bishop or any one else for that matter. I did go to church today, and the last song was God be with you 'till we meet again, which is the song sung by a woman at church with a beautiful voice, to my BFF that died last year. I burst into tears and cried uncontrollably until the meeting was over. I realize how much she and I held each other up because we were so much the same. At Sunday School, the Bishop came over and sat with me and my husband. I had to leave early because one of my daughters came to visit today, and I don't see her often as she lives farther away. I hugged the Bishop and wept. All of your voices were in my head today, and in my heart. Each one of the stories, the trials, the fears, the heart felt love and spirit came in a flood of emotion today, and I wept with joy to know you all. I don't know if you realize how grateful I am to know you people. If I can make it through one more day knowing I am not alone, the day is a success and I am blessed. Thank you all...... so sincerely....
deancatcat

deancatcat

Post by deancatcat » 09 Jun 2012, 19:22

Hi Everyone. I started my Stats classes so I haven't been able to get on here much, or anywhere else for that matter! The meeting I didn't go to, I did see one of the Presidency members, and I'm pretty much in trouble. I have been released as the ward choir pianist because I do not sustain the two new counselors. Well, one was 2nd and moved to 1st, now the new 2nd is just as bad. I am not sure what I'm learning in this ward. Perhaps there isn't anything to learn anyway... *sigh*!! Thanks everyone. :)
deancatcat