For the first time I felt like I didn't belong

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
whathappenedtome

Re: For the first time I felt like I didn't belong

Post by whathappenedtome » 10 Jul 2015, 23:32

I just wanted to say that it's refreshing to hear people being so honest on here. I think most people in the church are struggling with at least one aspect of it. I guess that's the point. I have been a member all my life and at 48 I still don't feel like I get it at all. I think you are doing so much better than you think. I think church members are way to hard on ourselves. I honestly feel like most people leave the church because they feel like they are the only one not getting it. You are definitely not alone.

Heber13

Re: For the first time I felt like I didn't belong

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jul 2015, 08:56

whathappenedtome wrote: I think church members are way to hard on ourselves. I honestly feel like most people leave the church because they feel like they are the only one not getting it. You are definitely not alone.
I totally agree. While there is some value to stretching yourself and lengthening your stride and being faithful....there is a point it is unhealthy to put so much pressure on yourself as the problem.

The truth is, there are problems in the way some things have been taught, and some things we just don't understand.

It is not easy to openly talk about it in the church. There is a heavy emphasis on believing and avoiding doubts, and perfect restored truth...instead of just acknowledging there are various points of views on some subjects.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."