Thoreau

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Thoreau

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 13 Apr 2011, 07:22

I'm not really Henry David, I'm just using him as my alter-ego because I tend to walk to the beat of a different drummer. My wife is a true believing but I have doubts. I have had doubts ever since I joined the LDS church over 30 years ago. I have had experiences some would say are spiritual and others would disagree with, no matter, I have had them. The reason I stay right now is for my wife and to a lesser degree, my children who are all grown.

I have had many callings at the ward and branch level but no stake callings. At least one of these callings, counselor in the branch presidency, helped to confirm in my mind that many callings are not inspired.

More about me will come out as I participate. You can also see me over at New Order Mormon.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

cwald

Re: Thoreau

Post by cwald » 13 Apr 2011, 11:43

Hey, welcome. I have enjoyed reading your opinions at NOM. Hope you will continue express some over here as well.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

observant

Post by observant » 13 Apr 2011, 13:12

I think there are many TBM's that understand that there are many, many callings that are not inspired. :P

Welcome!
"Some think it's holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it's letting go. "~Sylvia Robinson

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Apr 2011, 13:35

I just watched "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail" last week at the college where I work. Really good, thought-provoking play - no many levels.

Not relevant in any real way, but thought I'd share. :D

Welcome. I look forward to getting to know you better.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 13 Apr 2011, 15:19

Welcome!
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Fatherof4husbandof1

Post by Fatherof4husbandof1 » 13 Apr 2011, 16:15

Thoreau wrote... At least one of these callings, counselor in the branch presidency, helped to confirm in my mind that many callings are not inspired.
We have some common ground already! Good to have you
to infinity...and beyond!!!!!

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 14 Apr 2011, 11:34

Thoreau wrote:I'm not really Henry David, I'm just using him as my alter-ego because I tend to walk to the beat of a different drummer. My wife is a true believing but I have doubts. I have had doubts ever since I joined the LDS church over 30 years ago. I have had experiences some would say are spiritual and others would disagree with, no matter, I have had them. The reason I stay right now is for my wife and to a lesser degree, my children who are all grown...
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to hearing what you have to say. I'm a fan of Thoreau as well; I read Walden and Civil Disobedience and really liked his style especially the way he would sort of step back and re-evaluate some of the things people do and suggest that it doesn't necessarily have to be that way and maybe there is a better way. For example, I liked some of his observations about the amount of wasted money and effort that often goes into trying to be like everyone else. This is probably true even more now than it was then when you see people start to feel like they need to buy a new car when their old one is still working fine. Reading some of Thoreau's ideas definitely opened my eyes to things I wouldn't have paid as much attention to otherwise.
"Truth is what works." - William James

PiperAlpha

Post by PiperAlpha » 14 Apr 2011, 14:28

Welcome!

2 of my favorite quotes of yours...
Henry David Thoreau wrote:Before printing was discovered, a century was equal to a thousand years.
Henry David Thoreau wrote:Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.
Good to have you here.
“As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
Elder Ronald E. Poelman, General Conference Oct 1984

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 16 Apr 2011, 12:03

Thank you all for your kind welcomes.

I'm just a regular guy trying to make sense of it all. I have lots of opinions, some good some bad. I'm not much of a deep thinker at this point, I'm just trying to find the simple truth of the Gospel and how to live it without all the guilt I'm feeling.

I'm not very verbose, I'm usually short and to the point. I expect everyone to be able to read my mind ;) . And I feel like I'm rambling and can't end this post. :?
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

Roy

Post by Roy » 16 Apr 2011, 18:53

Welcome Thoreau,

This is a safe place. We come from may different perspectives and approaches yet there are similarities among all of us. I have learned much from participating here, but more importantly than discussion of strategy or history etc. I have come to own my beliefs and my larger identity.

Thanks for participating!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13