There and back again

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
mercyngrace

Re: There and back again

Post by mercyngrace » 03 Jun 2011, 10:08

Thanks for the comments everyone.

What's really interesting is that at the time, I was so angry with God, so disillusioned, and so hurt. I thought nothing could be worse. That's laughable now, after more recent struggles, but it reminds me of how much I've changed through trials and adversities. I'm a stronger, wiser, more compassionate, more patient, and much more loving person than I was then and I wouldn't be who I am if the road had been easy.

Something I've been studying lately has really resonated with me. I've posted it on another forum so forgive me if you've aready read it:

One thing that I have found true in my life is that adversity and suffering are often invitations into God's presence, if we will receive them as such. Take, for example, the words recorded in Matthew.

Matthew records the Lord saying, Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted.

The Greek for comforted here has a much richer meaning that simply to be given succor.
αρακαλέω
parakaleō
Thayer Definition:
1) to call to one’s side, call for, summon
2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
2a) to admonish, exhort
2b) to beg, entreat, beseech
2b1) to strive to appease by entreaty
2c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
2c1) to receive consolation, be comforted
2d) to encourage, strengthen
2e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
2f) to instruct, teach
To be comforted means to be invited to draw near. In other words, when we mourn, we are beng invited to draw near unto God. We may be consoled, encouraged, or admonished but we are also likely to be summoned to the presence of God for instruction.

As indicated in the last General Conference by Elder Richards of the Seventy, the Savior learned by all that He suffered (Heb. 5:8 ) and "Perhaps we also need to experience the depths of mortality in order to understand Him and our eternal purposes."

The comfort we receive, if we respond to the summons, comes in the form of a visitation by either the first or second comforter. The name "comforter" obviously comes from the same root as "comforted" as used in the Beatitudes.

From the Bible Dictionary:
Paraclete

Paraclete. The word does not occur in the KJV. It is an English form of the Greek parakletos, a name applied by the Lord (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7) to the Holy Spirit, and which may be translated Comforter, Advocate, or Helper. The same name is applied by John (1 John 2:1) to the Lord himself. Advocate is probably the English word that most nearly represents the meaning of the Greek.

Some posit that suffering or mourning has no purpose after this life, that little children suffer in vain or that the suffering of the dying is useless, however spiritual maturity, instruction from the comforters, and wisdom rise with us and are still acquired in the next world. Just as in the temple, we pass symbolically from one world and our instruction continues in the next until we are prepared with all the light and knowledge we need to pass through the veil, so the knowledge we acquire through our suffering rises with us and, if we endure it well - which may mean simply humbling ourselves and letting the comforter and the experience lead us to a deeper knowledge of gospel truth - it grants us all the more advantage in the next world. As we come to understand Christ through our adversities and suffering, our very natures change.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 07 Jun 2011, 16:38

I don't know if any of you have heard this song before. It was new to me but I don't listen to the radio much and happened into it quite by accident a few weeks back. The lyrics reminded me of some discussions I've read and participated in on this board, so I thought I'd share them.

"Blessings" by Laura Story

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

What if a thousand sleepless nights
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home

And what if a thousand sleepless nights
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

RagDollSallyUT

Post by RagDollSallyUT » 27 Aug 2012, 14:41

Wow. I know this is somewhat of an older thread. But wow I can say- I get you. On many levels. Several experiences I have had are very similar, some I mentioned in my post and some I did not. I am so sorry for your loss.
Attacked by Christmas Toys? That's strange. That's the second complaint we've had!-Nightmare Before Christmas
We're gonna need a bigger boat.-Jaws
If we are to be saved in an ark, as Noah and his family were, it will be because we build it.-Brigham Young

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 10 May 2018, 06:21

mercyngrace wrote:
20 Jan 2011, 09:25
Another thing that changed for me is that I stopped expecting miracles that I designed and started accepting the miracles that God performed.
This. So This.
I will probably take 6 months to process and internalize this as part of my new paradigm.
mercyngrace wrote:
20 Jan 2011, 09:25
More than once I followed the standard methods for getting what I want out of God. Praying, fasting, attending the temple, living the commandments, and having blinding faith did nothing to change the circumstances. Where was this God of Miracles? And yet I couldn't deny the unseen hand that was giving me nudges toward understanding and flashes of insight and wisdom that could have been acquired no other way but through my adversities. It turned out that I was the miracle. Or rather, the changes wrought in my heart.
I have faith to believe this, and the courage to act on this belief in some ways.

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 May 2018, 16:05

AmyJ wrote:
10 May 2018, 06:21
It turned out that I was the miracle. Or rather, the changes wrought in my heart.
I needed to be reminded of that today. Thank you!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13