Another newbie for you guys...

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
PressingForward

Another newbie for you guys...

Post by PressingForward » 02 Apr 2010, 07:56

I'm so surprised to know there are resources like this out there. It makes me feel... well.. almost a little NORMAL.. lol

I've been inactive in church for quite sometime... I wouldn't even be able to tell you how long really. Off and on since I was around... 13 I guess. You could say I gave up at one point, and joined a Baptist church (it was really Pentecostal, but they called themselves Baptist for some reason..lol) And it was here that my love for LDS church GREW. Weird huh? Thats how it worked out, and thats how I found myself cracking open my BOM and desiring to once again be apart of the church. It has nothing to do with family.. my parents have both passed, my grandmother doesn't really know (she lives far away)... and the rest of my family was never in the church to begin with so they could care less. I'm actually kind of a closet Mormon I've come to figure out. My in-laws are very devout Christians that also belong to a primarily african Baptist church, as well as my husband. My mother-in-law is a serving minister at that church. If there's anything that scares me is being open with my in-laws about my love for the LDS church... so my situation is backwards I think. My husband knows my love for the church, and for the most part, he's grown to be quite comfortable with it. (we'll see how all that changes once kids come aboard) Plus, like I said, I'm kind of a closet member.. so he doesn't have to deal with me going to church every Sunday, home teaching, RS stuff.... all that jazz. But I want to be involved in all these things.. and there will be a day when I will be.

My views are different than your typical TBM. I'm not TBM I've come to learn just this week.

I've just joined the FacesEast forum and they enlightened me on the NOM perspective, TBM, Sunstone... all things I didn't know existed until this very week. (Have I been under a rock?!) There are other people who think like ME!! wow... who would have guessed... I thought I was special... lol :)

Anyways... back to my views... what are they? In a nutshell, I believe the LDS church to contain a lot of true/real/matches-with-my-spirit/whatever you want to call it doctrine. I also have learned that many other churches beliefs are NOT false. (very contrary to what I primarily grew up believing) I love the church.. I KNOW the spirit dwells in the church, and sometimes even the people in the church (LOL!) Like I mentioned in the FacesEast forum.. I truly feel like the church has many true teachings under its roof. Other churches do to... but my spirit tells me that the LDS church has the most under one roof, and this is where I should be. I should continue to learn from other religions, because I also know that they have truths the LDS church does NOT have.

I almost don't want to call myself mormon, or LDS... just Christian that happens to want to a attend an LDS church.. is that possible?

Another thing I'm trying to gain comfort with is all the church history... swept under the rug. I've come to terms and have accepted the fact that there is no perfect human being in this world. Christ was the only one, and will only ever be. Even a Prophet of the church can make mistakes because he is flesh and bone, just like I am flesh and bone. I'm currently learning that they need my prayers, just like the rest of the world... and just like I need your prayers. I don't even know all the history. I don't know whats true and whats not true... what is made up anti-mormon.. or what is mormon that is tweeked and half covered? ANY HELP ON THIS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I DO NOT want to be one of those people who walks around aimlessly not knowing the TRUTH of the church. I want to know it (once again, please share with me) and I want to be comfortable with it. How can I expect my husband to want to be a part of this church with me when I dont even know what the heck is going on? And more importantly, I will need help being comfortable with it... So yea.. I dont know the full truth yet.. I dont know how to sort it all together. When I look up things on google, I get all kinds of anti-mormon stuff, that I just can't rely on.. nor do I obviously feel I can just ask. Sooooo... help a sista out! lol

Well this is me, here I am. I'm so glad to have found you guys! Looking forward to your thoughts, our similarities, our differences, what you have tell me! I'm excited... :)

(are all intros this long?? sorry....) :lol:

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Another newbie for you guys...

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Apr 2010, 08:39

(are all intros this long?? sorry....)

and I was thinking, "Nice, concise intro!" :)

Welcome. I am looking forward to what you will contribute - what we all can learn from you.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 02 Apr 2010, 09:03

Hey, PF! Welcome to your place.

I think here you can count on getting straight answers. Feel free to search for old threads or open new ones to ask anything you have been wondering.

Isn't this great?
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

just me

Post by just me » 02 Apr 2010, 11:47

Welcome to the board! I'm glad you found us. :)
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

PressingForward

Post by PressingForward » 02 Apr 2010, 12:01

Tom Haws wrote:ask anything you have been wondering.

Isn't this great?
YES! it is... :) Thanks for the warm welcome.. looking forward to getting to know everyone!

nightwalden

Post by nightwalden » 02 Apr 2010, 21:42

Welcome.

My guess is that if you feel like the LDS church is a good place for you and teaches a lot of truth, then you probably won't be too disturbed by church history. I think the history really gets people who have relied on the "only true church" idea and have spent years trying to make the church make sense logically. But it seems like you want to learn more and for me the mormonstories podcasts were the easiest and most efficient way to become a little more educated.

PressingForward

Post by PressingForward » 03 Apr 2010, 06:04

nightwalden wrote:My guess is that if you feel like the LDS church is a good place for you and teaches a lot of truth, then you probably won't be too disturbed by church history.
I'm sure the more I learn, the more things I will find that are disturbing. I think as long as I remember that man is imperfect, that will help me cope to a certain degree. For those things I have trouble coping with... well.. thats why I'm here :)

I've been a part of a few different religions, different churches... and have come to realize each church has their issues, and serious ones at that. Christianity in itself has historical issues IMHO. Do I agree with all teachings of the LDS church? hmm.. no. It's so difficult when you feel like you have to rely on another man for God's direction. I don't want others imposing their personal opinions as religion on me or my family. Thats why it is incredibly important for me to establish my own very personal relationship with Christ. For me, that includes studying and learning about other religions, even religions that don't believe in Christ, but believe in some form of God. There is truth everywhere, not just in the LDS church as many of us grew up learning. I want to pray about those things, I want God to show me whats real and what isn't. (is that so much to ask?! lol! :) It has already been dropped in my spirit that the LDS church is where I should be, why? Gee.. I wish I knew. My life would be so much easier if I just left it alone. Maybe its to smack some sense into other ward members... who knows. Can one person really make a difference? I believe in Christ.. wholeheartedly... and at times I used to feel like the Church was very lighthearted on Christ, and more focused on food canning. This was a couple years back, but something tells me it hasn't changed much.. lol :)

Anyway, my mind is fried. There is so much I want to say, and just dont know how. I try to write it down, but its so scrambled I dont even know what I was thinking to begin with... Things will become clearer to me I'm sure.. Keep me in prayer, as I keep everyone else in prayer! :)

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 03 Apr 2010, 06:54

PressingForward wrote:I'm so surprised to know there are resources like this out there. It makes me feel... well.. almost a little NORMAL.. lol
Haha. Welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys! You are now "normal" and completely OK, in relative terms :lol:

Seriously though, You have found our cozy little community where people like you (who are just wired to ask too many questions and think too much about things) are at home.
I've just joined the FacesEast forum and they enlightened me on the NOM perspective, TBM, Sunstone... all things I didn't know existed until this very week. (Have I been under a rock?!) There are other people who think like ME!! wow... who would have guessed... I thought I was special... lol :)
You are still very special. Welcome to the sunlight and the fresh air! though

I hope we can be a positive sounding board for your journey at this point in your life. I look forward to hearing more from you. There really aren't any single right answers here. I benefit a LOT from hearing what it looks like on other people's paths, and how other people deal with their spiritual journey using some (or all) elements of Mormonism in their adventure.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 03 Apr 2010, 11:09

PressingForward wrote:Well this is me, here I am. I'm so glad to have found you guys! Looking forward to your thoughts, our similarities, our differences, what you have tell me! I'm excited... :)
Great to have you here...I can't wait to learn from your perspectives.

I find it interesting, as it sounds like you have as well, that these thoughts and feelings we go through are more common among others than we are aware. I think it is a danger to think we are so unique in this universe, that no one else understands us or goes through what we go through.

I find it comforting to know I'm not so weird after all (ok, maybe a little. :? ) ... but these questions about the church have been thought through and researched for years. There is much to learn from that...and to know there are ways to get through it and come out peacefully defining your own belief and faith of what works for you and how to handle things in the church, and there are more solutions than to just leave the church behind.

Welcome to the group.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 03 Apr 2010, 13:17

Welcome to the site! Your story sounds familiar to most of us here in one way or another. Looking forward to your input.