oh no!

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Pinetreelover

oh no!

Post by Pinetreelover » 08 Dec 2019, 23:21

Hi all,
I spent an hour writing my first post and I guess the website logged me out while I was typing. :o when I clicked on preview it said I have to be logged in to post! I'm mourning the loss of that post and the hour I can't get back. :lol: I don't know if I can ever type all that again. :lol:

DarkJedi

Re: oh no!

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Dec 2019, 12:26

Unfortunately this sometimes happens and it happens to the best of us. I almost always copy my posts to the clipboard before hitting submit (especially longer posts that took a bit to write) because I too have been burned.

That said, welcome to the forum. I hope you can find the time to say at least part of what you said so we can get to know you. Thanks for your effort!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 Dec 2019, 14:20

I agree. I also copy my posts into the clipboard before hitting submit. The likelihood of my losing a post appear to be directly correlated to how long I spent to write it.

Welcome PineTreeLover.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Dec 2019, 03:08

I've had that problem too. As the other two said - clipboard - or wordpad if you have a longer piece.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Dec 2019, 18:16

I have been here for 11 years. I don't want to think about how many posts I have lost due to not saving them before trying to submit them.

I hope you can find a way to introduce yourself, more fully (as you tried to do) or more briefly.

Welcome!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heavy_Laden

Post by Heavy_Laden » 31 Jan 2020, 12:48

That has happened to me before. Sorry about your lost time. Maybe it was divine influence? :thumbup: :angel: Regardless, welcome to the site.
I'm an Independent Mormon and it's okay. - Staylds.org

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Feb 2020, 08:52

Pinetreelover wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 23:21
Hi all,
I spent an hour writing my first post and I guess the website logged me out while I was typing. :o when I clicked on preview it said I have to be logged in to post! I'm mourning the loss of that post and the hour I can't get back. :lol: I don't know if I can ever type all that again. :lol:
I've lost posts due to being logged off as well. It's especially disheartening because it's an issue that only happens when you've taken lots of time to write a thoughtful post. It can leave you deflated without the energy to redo everything.

I did a little digging and found the following:
The server is configured to automatically log people out after 60 minutes of inactivity and activity is only recorded when loading a page. The reason this has happened to nearly all of us is that we click on 'New Topic' or 'Post Reply' and remain on that same page typing our post for longer than the inactivity timeout of 60 minutes. We aren't typically loading other pages while typing a lengthy post, so we're logged out due to "inactivity." :(

Possible workarounds:
1) After the second time this happened to me... okay, maybe after the third or fourth time... okay, maybe I still forget every once in a while, I got in the habit of copying my posts to the clipboard before hitting the submit or preview buttons. If I get logged out I can get my post back by pasting the contents of the clipboard.

When I get really paranoid I'll paste the contents of the post in a separate file on my computer and save the file before submitting. :crazy: That's how badly this little annoyance has burned me in the past.

2) Selecting the 'Remember me' option when logging in. This will keep you logged in, overruling the rule to log you off due to inactivity. You shouldn't select this option on public computers because you could forget to log off and the next person to come along would be automatically logged in as you. If you go this route and staying logged in is a concern, you'll have to be sure to explicitly log off when you're done. The forum provides two places to log in and both give the 'Remember me' option:

Directly from the 'Board index' page:
login_002.png
login_002.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

From the dedicated login page:
login_001.png
login_001.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

3) If loading a page counts as activity then previewing your post every 15-30 minutes or so should theoretically reset the inactivity counter. Alternatively, periodically loading any other page on forum.staylds.com (in another tab) would reset the counter. It's a theory, I'd have to test it, and it's also an annoying way to address the issue.

4) Increase the inactivity timeout. Currently the timeout is set to 60 minutes. Increasing the timeout is easy enough but it comes with a few drawbacks:

a) It doesn't resolve the problem, it only shifts when the problem occurs. For example, if the timeout is updated to 120 minutes and I take 121 minutes to write a post I'll run into the same problem. That said, increasing the timeout will certainly reduce the frequency the problem. E.g. on average 1 out of 20 posts may take me more than an hour to write but only 1 out of 200 posts takes me longer than two hours to write.

Still, losing a post that took over two hours to write would really sting.

b) The higher the inactivity timeout, the more the setting begins to introduce the cons of the 'Remember me' option.

The inactivity timeout tries to strike that balance between not kicking people off in the middle of writing a post and not becoming something that keeps people that forget to log off logged in for long periods of time even after they close the browser.

- - - - - - - - - -

I know the 'Remember me' option works when posts take over 60 minutes to write, I tested it with this post and got an invalid form error that retained my post that I only had to resubmit. I'm pretty sure option #3 works, but I'll test it all the same. After testing I'll find some posting tip stickied thread to piggy-back on with how to avoid the automatic logoff problem
To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.
― Mark Twain

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Feb 2020, 06:22

I click on Remember Me regularly and it still logs me out.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Feb 2020, 16:18

I am in favor of increasing the inactivity timeout to 120 minutes.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 25 Feb 2020, 05:50

Roy wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 16:18
I am in favor of increasing the inactivity timeout to 120 minutes.
WAIT!! I thought the whole purpose of this site was to "STAY LDS", not encourage inactivity!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: