Returning to help others with a F/C

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
REBEL2

Returning to help others with a F/C

Post by REBEL2 » 11 Jun 2019, 04:58

Hi : Havent been here in a long time. I am returning having had a faith crisis in 2014, left the church in 2017 then rebaptized this past Jan. I love the church but have a nuanced outlook on it, suffice to say I am now an unorthodox mormon!!! I hope to help others going through a faith crisis. The best help for me was reading "Planted" by Patrick Mason. I am comimg over from NOM as the crowd there is more about leaving the church !! I was also on the first Nom site. I have been around but I find more good in the church than bad although I still have a few issues with it , it is my home . Love you guys/gals talk to ya soon.

DarkJedi

Re: Returning to help others with a F/C

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Jun 2019, 05:31

Welcome, and welcome back. I look forward to reading your perspectives.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 11 Jun 2019, 07:43

Glad to have you back. I would love to hear your story as it seems so infrequent (like almost never) that someone goes down the rabbit hole including removing their name from the church, then to return.

I know I look at myself and I can't think of anything that the church could do to make me want to return. The only thing that I think would change me is if God touched my heart as my brain has firmly concluded it is all made up. But I have gotten to a place where I am at peace with others finding value in the church and it takes a big item to get me riled up against the church.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jun 2019, 19:37

Welcome back. Good to have you here again.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Jun 2019, 10:36

It is great to hear the road others take along their journey, and I'm glad you are sharing yours. It can help so many others who read.

Thanks for your posts.

I feel like there is a place among the saints for unorthodox members. Maybe not always easy or supported...but it is an option as long as one's heart is pure.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Jun 2019, 11:07

Oh wow, I am so interested to hear your story. Welcome back. I remember you from both sites.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 Jun 2019, 09:26

Welcome back Rebel! I think you will find a much better fit here.

What kind of steps did you have to take for rebaptism. I imagine local church leadership might have some concerns regarding what has changed from the resignation until now that you can now fully recommit to the church. Was that a difficult process or were your local leaders just happy to see you return (like in the parable of the prodigal son). Do you retake the missionary discussions? do you just have the normal baptism interview? Is there a higher authority that has to sign off?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13