What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
DarkJedi

Re: What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Apr 2019, 05:17

rrosskopf wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 03:38
May I point out that technically, "fullness" just means satisfyingly full? When one is full, they are no longer hungry, but they could still eat more.
I totally agree. In the context of the restoration, having the fullness of the gospel apparently does not mean that the restoration is finished. For me this is one of many paradoxes.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 12 Apr 2019, 06:48

DarkJedi wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 05:17
rrosskopf wrote:
May I point out that technically, "fullness" just means satisfyingly full? When one is full, they are no longer hungry, but they could still eat more.
I totally agree. In the context of the restoration, having the fullness of the gospel apparently does not mean that the restoration is finished. For me this is one of many paradoxes.
And this, coupled with a few conference talks, has taught me to accept that perhaps the church is not "true" yet, but is progressing toward becoming true eventually.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Apr 2019, 08:11

rrosskopf wrote:

What if the "gospel" still leaves you feeling hungry? Feeling like Oliver Twist here. The Church is like the factory, where the children sing "Food, glorious food. Food is all that I live for...". And yet, if someone stands up and says they're still hungry, this is what happens. Who says when I'm full? Or what happens when what they're feeding you makes your tummy upset?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Apr 2019, 10:26

grobert93 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 06:48
DarkJedi wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 05:17
rrosskopf wrote:
And this, coupled with a few conference talks, has taught me to accept that perhaps the church is not "true" yet, but is progressing toward becoming true eventually.
I don't know if the church is true or even what that means. But it does bug me when people say it's a perfect organization run by imperfect people. It's not perfect, if it were there would be no need for continuing revelation or continuing restoration. As far as the word "perfect" goes, it's one of those words modern people have assigned a modern meaning when they're reading something not modern and it had a different meaning when written. In scripture it does not mean flawless, it meant whole or complete. I don't believe the church is whole or complete yet and I know I'm not anywhere near whole or complete - but we're both making progress.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Apr 2019, 12:52

For me it teaches:
- The personal ministry of Jesus Christ was not only for one part of the world (Eastern Hemisphere) but also for the west.
- The personal ministry of Jesus Christ was for the dead as well as the living.
- The personal ministry of Jesus Christ is for all generations.

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 12 Apr 2019, 23:32

dande48 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 08:11

What if the "gospel" still leaves you feeling hungry?
Does the gift of God seem too meager for you?

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God." - John 6:66-70

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Apr 2019, 23:57

rrosskopf wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 23:32
What someone claims is the "gift of God", yes. That's why I'm here.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Apr 2019, 06:19

"Does the gift of God seem too meager for you?"
Consider, please, how condescending and condemning that question sounds to someone who has been uber faithful in the past and now is struggling.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 13 Apr 2019, 07:14

rrosskopf wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 23:32
dande48 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 08:11

What if the "gospel" still leaves you feeling hungry?

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God." - John 6:66-70
The church isn't for everyone. The church Jesus established is not equal to the LDS church today. It may have the priesthood and teach the gospel and perform the ordinances, but as former President Utchdorf himself said in conference, the restoration of the gospel is still happening. The church is still growing, still changing and becoming more pure. In the meantime, not everyone who attends church will find peace or satisfaction here. Which is why Elder Bednar gave a talk on home-centric gospel learning. We cannot expect the church to satisfy our needs. We cannot expect the church to "feed us until we are full".

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 15 Apr 2019, 07:24

grobert93 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 07:14

The church isn't for everyone. The church Jesus established is not equal to the LDS church today. It may have the priesthood and teach the gospel and perform the ordinances, but as former President Utchdorf himself said in conference, the restoration of the gospel is still happening. We cannot expect the church to satisfy our needs. We cannot expect the church to "feed us until we are full".
Is there any man or women alive that wouldn't benefit from repentance? Or having the Holy Ghost as a constant companion?