What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
dande48

Re: What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Post by dande48 » 07 Apr 2019, 09:00

SamBee wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 08:45
Not even that. Some of these groups believe they are incapable of salvation at all.
Any examples?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2019, 09:22

dande48 wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 09:00
SamBee wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 08:45
Not even that. Some of these groups believe they are incapable of salvation at all.
Any examples?
Certain extreme Afrikaaners who believe black Africans are the "beasts of the field" mentioned in the Bible and not really human.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Apr 2019, 09:27

When I read it for the tenth time a while ago, I finished it with this great desire to be a good person. That impression has stuck with me for decades since.

The stories point to living a righteous life, and nations being blessed for it. I see that as a theme throughout the entire book.

I have a really hard time believing it contains "the fulness of the gospel" because a lot of ordinances mentioned only in D&C are missing, such as temple marriage. I think you could argue the BoM and the D&C contain the fulness of the gospel, with allusions to it also found in the Bible, but as a standalone description of the gospel, I don't think so.

Not unless you limit the gospel to faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the holy ghost and then enduring to the end. But unfortunately, the BoM misses a lot of other points considered the core of the gospel.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2019, 11:29

The best explanation I've heard is that the BoM is about salvation, and the later LDS scriptures deal more with exaltation.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 07 Apr 2019, 19:22

Above all, the Book of Mormon is a second witness to the messiah, when he would come, and the global aspect of his mission. The signs and wonders that accompanied his birth and death in the New World are also a witness to the fulfillment of messianic prophecies, as well as a witness to the validity of the historical nature of the Book of Mormon. Great lights appeared in the heavens at the birth of the savior, and stars could be seen indistinctly behind them. It sounds very much like the solar storm of 1859, something that Joseph Smith didn't live to see. The eruption of Apoyeque in the 1st century AD was one of the largest known volcanic eruptions, and was likely responsible for lightnings, thunderings, thick darkness, sunken cities and burned cities. A large part of the area is now under water because of that eruption. The only comparable eruption in modern history is that of Krakatoa in 1883, which also caused three days of darkness in the Indian ocean.
One aspect that few people recognize, is the difference in belief between the classic Jews of Jesus' time and the Israelites. It is the Israelite traditions that were discouraged by the Jews, the belief in a Son of God, and a consort of God, and a council of heaven, and the mysteries. As eminent historian Margaret Barker concludes, the Book of Mormon is in harmony with 1st Temple traditions. The prominent role of Joseph as a king and leader over his brethren is also an Israelite belief, in conflict with the Jewish belief that Judah should rule.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 21:25

I agree completely that the central teaching of the BofM is Jesus as the Messiah. No doubt about that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Apr 2019, 01:59

A key difference is that the BoM is a lot more explicit in its Christology pre-incarnation than the Old Testament is.

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Apr 2019, 09:52

SamBee wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 01:59
A key difference is that the BoM is a lot more explicit in its Christology pre-incarnation than the Old Testament is.
Yes, The BoM inserts Christ and Christianity explicitely into pre-christian times. This is both a strength and a weakness. As a weakness it is an anacronism. Yet as a strength, if God were the same yesterday, today, and forever and the role of Jesus was to be central to His plan, one might expect some greater mentions, prophecies, and emphasis on this event.
rrosskopf wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 19:22
The eruption of Apoyeque in the 1st century AD was one of the largest known volcanic eruptions, and was likely responsible for lightnings, thunderings, thick darkness, sunken cities and burned cities. A large part of the area is now under water because of that eruption. The only comparable eruption in modern history is that of Krakatoa in 1883, which also caused three days of darkness in the Indian ocean.
The BoM amplifies the Christology of the bible. The bible says that the sky was dark for 3 hours, the BoM amplifies that to 3 days. The bible says that the ground shook, the BoM amplifies that to entire cities being destroyed by natural disasters. Both books state that there were resurections at this momnet. One thing that 19th century Christians would hope for to appear in the bible is a direct reference to the trinity. This the BoM supplies in spades.
Curt Sunshine wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 21:25
I agree completely that the central teaching of the BofM is Jesus as the Messiah. No doubt about that.
Agreed!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 08 Apr 2019, 16:14

SilentDawning wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 09:27

I have a really hard time believing it contains "the fulness of the gospel" because a lot of ordinances mentioned only in D&C are missing, such as temple marriage.
The fulness of the gospel, as understood by the Nephites, is contained in the Book of Mormon. "Fulness" is not to be understood as a detailed list of all doctrines and ordinances, but rather as containing the four or five major concepts; if the gospel were missing any one of these, it would not lead to salvation. The first concept is faith. God asks us to prove him, to gaze upon the brass serpent, to enter Jerusalem and confront Laban without knowing what is going to happen, to take our tents into the desert. Without faith, there is no salvation in the fullest sense. The second concept is repentance. Faith without repentance is ultimately futile. John the Baptist and the apostles of Jesus Christ taught repentance and baptism; this was their primary message. The third concept is that of making a covenant with God. We call that covenant baptism, and we renew that covenant with the sacrament of the Lord' supper. One must make a covenant - commit - to keeping the commandments of God or repentance and faith are in vain. The forth concept is receiving the Holy Ghost. It is the Holy Ghost that sanctifies us and changes our very nature. If we harden our hearts against it, then the faith, repentance and covenants were all in vain. All four are necessary, and one might add a fifth; to persevere in all four of these concepts so long as one draws breath - to endure to the end. This is the fulness of the gospel in it's simplicity. And yes, it is in the Book of Mormon. As simple as it sounds, one might suspect that many churches teach the same doctrines, but that is not the case. They may teach one or two, but the fulness of the gospel was lost, and strange doctrines were added in. The churches of Joseph Smith's day shot beyond the mark.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Apr 2019, 16:28

Was the concept of Eve consciously kicking off the Fall unique to the BoM?
It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
― Abraham Lincoln