Cooking with alcohol

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Re: Cooking with alcohol

Post by Roy » 29 Jan 2019, 10:57

Curt Sunshine wrote:
29 Jun 2016, 08:49
That verse about avoiding the appearance of evil is one of the most misapplied verses in our entire scriptural canon.

I might write a post about it - since I've written about practically everything else. :lol:
Reminder - Curt, I am still waiting on this write up. Did I miss it somewhere?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Jan 2019, 12:17

Roy wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:57
Curt Sunshine wrote:
29 Jun 2016, 08:49
That verse about avoiding the appearance of evil is one of the most misapplied verses in our entire scriptural canon.

I might write a post about it - since I've written about practically everything else. :lol:
Reminder - Curt, I am still waiting on this write up. Did I miss it somewhere?
I'm not answering for Curt but I agree with the idea he put forth. This is one of those areas where translation plays a part in interpretation, as does a more "puritan" view of things. The scripture is 1 Thessalonians 5:22 (KJV)
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Other translations of the same Greek phrase include:
NIV:
reject every kind of evil
ESV & NRSV:
Abstain from every form of evil
CEV:
don't have anything to do with evil
ASV:
abstain from every form of evil
Just to keep this short and because I don't have a ton of time at the moment, I interpret the scripture to mean "stay away from all evil" (wherever it appears) as opposed to what seems to be a common church member interpretation of "don't do anything that could appear to be evil."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 29 Jan 2019, 14:40

Curt Sunshine wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 20:01

I wouldn't soak my food in it without cooking the food well, but . . . :smile: :D
You wouldn't believe some of the desserts I had as a child - not off my parents, but visiting some of their friends. Some of the alcohol content was surprisingly high and I used to feel affected by them when I was small! Trifle was one of the worst but I never see it now.
Last edited by SamBee on 31 Jan 2019, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Jan 2019, 08:31

DarkJedi wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 12:17
Just to keep this short and because I don't have a ton of time at the moment, I interpret the scripture to mean "stay away from all evil" (wherever it appears) as opposed to what seems to be a common church member interpretation of "don't do anything that could appear to be evil."
Personally, I value the ideas behind scripture on their own merit, not on their purported authority. That being said, I think "avoiding even the appearance of evil" is a very good idea, and don't consider it puritanical at all, even IF that wasn't the original intent or meaning behind that particular scripture.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jan 2019, 09:25

I wrote a post linking something I wrote on my personal blog about the Thessalonians verse about the appearance of evil, since I have no time right now to write another detailed post. It explains why I have a huge problem with the traditional LDS interpretation.

/end of this threadjack. back to the topic of the post :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken