Cooking with alcohol

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Cooking with alcohol

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2019, 11:33

I don't drink alcohol but like Pres. McKay have no problem with eating it.

I appreciate it may be a trigger to severe alcoholics though.

http://www.ldsliving.com/POLL-To-Cook-w ... ol-or-Not/
Last edited by SamBee on 24 Jan 2019, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: Cooking with alcohol

Post by Roy » 24 Jan 2019, 13:41

The link is not working. It appears that the page may not be available any longer.

I understand that any alcohol content is burned off.

I like some BBQ sauce that is made with Jack Daniel's Whiskey and has 0% alcohol.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 24 Jan 2019, 17:22

Here's the updated working link: http://www.ldsliving.com/POLL-To-Cook-w ... ot/s/63553.

Here's a link to research, from back in 1992, disproving the myth that most alcohol is removed in cooking: https://www.nal.usda.gov/sites/default/ ... ention.pdf. While it does have a lower boiling point than water, it doesn't entirely evaporate, just like any other cooking liquid. Between 4%-85% of it remains, depending on cooking method, cooking time, and ingredients.

Still, I wouldn't fret over it too much. I don't think many have gotten buzzed from eating those sorts of foods. It's a letter vs spirit of the law sort of thing. I love President McKay.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2019, 18:07

Most of the alcohol is removed (if it is heated) but I have known some recovering alcoholics who avoid it in food as it can trigger a relapse. I don't think anyone gets drunk off it, but the trigger is still there.

In some dishes such as certain desserts, it might not be boiled off.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2019, 07:16

We used to cook with alcohol sometimes, but haven't for several years.

I am happier with not doing so right now for these reasons:
a) Tween daughter - I really don't want to deal with the potential introduction to alcohol because she is bored and thinks it a good idea to raid the pantry. NOTE: She hasn't raided the pantry in a while and probably would go for the bread (my daughter all the way) instead of weird bottles... but you never know...

b) Alcoholism/Addictive Personality types in family history - both sides.... While we don't plan on buying alcohol and drinking it, the fact that we don't have any stocked makes the executive functioning requirements of going and getting some a helpful barrier for potential last-minute stupidity on our account.

While I can assume that we would be responsible with consuming alcohol if we chose to do so and that 1 drink does not automatically lead to addiction, I feel that our personal risk is higher for that circumstance than average, so our risk avoidance should be adjusted accordingly. I am also aware that 0 drinks (and judicial use of cold medicines and the like) only lead to not being addicted to alcohol (so that a person is potentially addicted to something else) - I am OK with that.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Jan 2019, 08:43

I cook with alcohol but did not in my TBM days. I will also order "beer battered fish" in a restaurant. I'm with DOM on this one and I don't in any way think it's a violation of the WoW. FWIW I do have a good recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon that I am now craving and will likely make this weekend, and I don't turn down Aunt Debbie's rum cake at family functions (the icing also contains rum and is not cooked).

That said, I'm also hear what Amy is saying and likewise have a side of my family that seems like they might have a predisposition to addiction (since virtually all of them are addicts). That is the actual reason I live the WoW - I fear that predisposition may be genetic and I don't want to risk it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Jan 2019, 16:35

I had a relative who died of alcohol related illness. She drank really heavily and I consider her a warning. I do not consider myself alcoholic, but drinking was an issue for me. On the other hand, alcohol in the food is not an issue for me.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 27 Jan 2019, 10:30

I've never worried about alcohol in my food. It's definitely not going to get you drunk. I think all the fretting we do over minutae probably offsets any health benefits.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Jan 2019, 20:01

I have no problem with it, regardless of how much gets burned out by the process.

I wouldn't soak my food in it without cooking the food well, but . . . :smile: :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 28 Jan 2019, 15:17

I don't have a problem with it. I grew up around alcohol and yes there are concerns about addiction in my family, but fortunately I never liked the hard stuff. Beer on the other hand... I brew my own home brew and burn off (most of) the alcohol. I also don't really have a problem with Non-alcoholic beers, even in my most TBM days I would occasionally have one.
Still one of the best ways to cook brotwurst is in beer.
Odd come to think of it, that even in my most black and white days, I don't think it was ever an issue. Other than DW saying I should 'avoid the appearance of evil', which I understood her point, but did not agree with.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.