The Orthodox Jewish Bible (NT)

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

The Orthodox Jewish Bible (NT)

Post by SamBee » 03 Dec 2018, 18:34

See what a different flavor this gives...
And having entered again into Kfar-Nachum after [many] yamim, it was heard that Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach is at home.

2 And many were gathered together so that there was no longer any room at the delet, and Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach was speaking the dvar Hashem to them.

3 And they come bringing to Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach a paralytic being carried along by arba’a anashim (four men).

4 And not being able to bring [the paralytic] to Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach on account of the multitude, they removed the roof where Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach was, and having made an opening, they lowered the mat upon which the paralytic was lying.

5 And Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach, having seen the emunah of them, says to the paralytic, Beni, your averos are granted selicha.

6 And there were some of the Sofrim (Scribes) sitting there and thinking about these things in their levavot (hearts),

7 Why is this one speaking thus? He is guilty of Chillul Hashem gidduf (Desecration of the Name, blasphemy). Who is able to grant selicha (forgiveness) to averos (sins) except Hashem? [YESHAYAH 43:25]

8 And, ofen ort (immediately), having had daas in his ruach that in this way they were thinking, Rebbe Melech HaMoshiach says to them, Why are you considering such things in your levavot?

9 Which is easier? To say to the paralytic, Your averos are granted selicha, or to say, Stand and pick up your mat and walk?

10 But in order that you may have daas that the Ben HaAdam [Moshiach, DANIEL 7:13-14] has samchut (authority) on haaretz to grant that averos receive selicha, Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach says to the paralytic

11 To you I say, Stand, pick up your mat, and go to your bais.

12 And the man arose, and, ofen ort (immediately), in front of everyone, taking the mat, he went outside. So everyone was astonished and gave kavod to Hashem saying, Never have we seen anything like this!

13 And Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach went out again beside the lake; and all the multitude was coming to him, and he was teaching them Torah.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: The Orthodox Jewish Bible (NT)

Post by Roy » 04 Dec 2018, 12:15

I am somewhat confused. What is an Orthodox Jewish New Testament? Is that like a Mormon Koran?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Dec 2018, 11:26

Roy wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 12:15
I am somewhat confused. What is an Orthodox Jewish New Testament? Is that like a Mormon Koran?
It is a book written by and for Jewish Christians. For me, it's very interesting as it uses dynamic equivalence which helps bring out the links between Old and New Testament. The RCs used to call this hebraizing, but it also relates things in the NT to their Jewish roots. "Sofrim" has a flavor which "scribes" doesn't.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 09 Dec 2018, 15:48

Interesting. Taking any texts and changing a few words to a familiar language can make an interesting paradigm shift.
I once read the trucker's Bible and the translation for "...and he said unto Peter" was translated to "Yo Pete".
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Dec 2018, 16:52

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 15:48
Interesting. Taking any texts and changing a few words to a familiar language can make an interesting paradigm shift.
I once read the trucker's Bible and the translation for "...and he said unto Peter" was translated to "Yo Pete".
Yes, I've seen something like that. Sometimes the writers get the speech patterns a bit wrong, but I could easily see "yo!" replacing "lo!" or "behold!"

I find this translation particularly interesting. I have read Jewish translations of the Hebrew Bible,. but not the New Testament. I have read books which locate Jesus in a more Jewish context, call him Yeshua etc but not an actual Bible translation. (There are even bits of Yiddish in this one - "And, ofen ort (immediately), having had daas")

Ben haAdam is a really interesting rendition of "son of man" since it links it back to Hebrew which means "man" or "Adam". Torah is a very basic change and again links it back to the OT in a way that "the law" doesn't.

Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach means Rabbi (teacher), King the Messiah (Christ) and seems to be used instead of Jesus, a very Jewish touch.

This translation also uses the Hebrew forms of. NT names e.g. John is Yochanan etc, another interesting touch.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 10 Dec 2018, 18:24

SamBee wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:52
(There are even bits of Yiddish in this one - "And, ofen ort (immediately), having had daas")
I admit being a goyim having the (translation) after the word was helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Dec 2018, 17:21

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 18:24
SamBee wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:52
(There are even bits of Yiddish in this one - "And, ofen ort (immediately), having had daas")
I admit being a goyim having the (translation) after the word was helpful.
I can get some of it from my German. Although occasionally Yiddish diverges completely from German.