Creating Worlds

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Re: Creating Worlds

Post by SamBee »

nibbler wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 13:16
SamBee wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 11:56 I certainly think many of those who control this world have given allegiance to Satan or what he represents, maybe not at some blood drinking ceremony with upside down crosses, but certainly by selling out to greed, sadism, cruelty, lust, selfishness, murder and the need to wield unrighteous authority over others.
Are you talking about Satan or fundamentalist religious adherents? :angel:
Some of them are in the same camp too.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I mentioned in another thread how there is something the Q15 seems to talk about a lot less lately. This is another of those things and maybe we should take the hint and focus on what is really important and that we understand much better.

I personally do not believe in any of the stuff about being gods and creating our own worlds, etc. Likewise, while I do believe there is evil and opposition in all things (yin and yang, darkness and light, etc.) I do not believe in a literal Satan.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

DarkJedi wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 13:53
I do not believe in a literal Satan.
You don't have to. Whether an abstract idea or directed by personalities, evil is a force and must be combated. It's out there and happens regularly - the hobo who got set on fire in my city, the swindlers, child abusers, heroin trade, the bosses who do not pay their workers properly (or not at all in some cases), dictatorships, police torturers in some parts of the world, slavery, the arms trade... the list goes on.

I'm inclined to think there is more to it. I have been to places which oozed evil even though no one was around. Other things I will not discuss on here.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SamBee wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 15:07
DarkJedi wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 13:53
I do not believe in a literal Satan.
You don't have to. Whether an abstract idea or directed by personalities, evil is a force and must be combated. It's out there and happens regularly - the hobo who got set on fire in my city, the swindlers, child abusers, heroin trade, the bosses who do not pay their workers properly (or not at all in some cases), dictatorships, police torturers in some parts of the world, slavery, the arms trade... the list goes on.

I'm inclined to think there is more to it. I have been to places which oozed evil even though no one was around. Other things I will not discuss on here.
Yeah, that's what the first part of that sentence was about:
Likewise, while I do believe there is evil and opposition in all things (yin and yang, darkness and light, etc.) I do not believe in a literal Satan.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
VioletFire

Post by VioletFire »

dande48 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 22:39 So yes, we technically don't "get our own planet". Not all LDS will get exalted, and "they" means all latter day saints. But if you're blessed and faithful enough to meet exaltation, you make them. LOTS of them. And you have LOTS of children, and a spouse, so the planets will be shared (hence, not your own). It's just one more example of the Church oversimplifying to convert, and then later pulling an Obiwan, "what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."
When I thought about it more I figured it was this. The "subtle" difference in wording like Roy spoke about. It feels very manipulative and dishonest to me. I get that they are trying to talk to investigators and show them we aren't dictators of our own planets or whatever, but I think it could have been done in a way that feels more genuine.

DarkJedi wrote:This is another of those things and maybe we should take the hint and focus on what is really important and that we understand much better.

I personally do not believe in any of the stuff about being gods and creating our own worlds, etc. Likewise, while I do believe there is evil and opposition in all things (yin and yang, darkness and light, etc.) I do not believe in a literal Satan.
I totally get that we shouldn't focus on these types of things, but it is very surprising how much I hear this casually talked about-- so I wanted to know the truth of it.

I no longer have any idea what the afterlife holds. I know what I hope for, and that's all I have. It was interesting watching the show, The Good Place, and realizing that the idea of a "medium place" is nuanced. I think if there is an afterlife and "different kingdoms" then I would think that if you have eternity that you could progress and become "better", but I don't know if you could become a God.
Same Bee wrote:I'm inclined to think there is more to it. I have been to places which oozed evil even though no one was around. Other things I will not discuss on here.
I also don't know if there is a hell or a Satan, but I have definitely felt that same thing.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »