Judah = Utah?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Judah = Utah?

Post by SamBee »

Anyone heard this one before?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Roy

Re: Judah = Utah?

Post by Roy »

I have never heard it. Context please.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Judah = Utah?
No.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Travis Goodsell "Reading the Signs in the Heavens"
Leo is the lion. The lion symbolizes Judah. Judah is actually pronounced Yudah. Yudah is phonetically equivalent to Utah. This involvement of this constellation may be dualism for the Jews but also for the Utahans. (sic)
The 2002 Winter Olympics was said by President Hinckley to be a partial fulfilment of the Isaiah prophesy in which all nations shall flow unto Zion.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
dande48

Post by dande48 »

With enough dots to connect, you can draw just about any conclusion you'd like. But that doesn't mean it's true.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

dande48 wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 10:12 With enough dots to connect, you can draw just about any conclusion you'd like. But that doesn't mean it's true.
Certainly phonetically similar, which is why I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

It is a stretch, but people like to stretch.

It is what it is.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

I was feeling pretty negative about this "connection."

As a sometimes disillusioned Mormon, I can get pretty Jaded about these things. From Independence Missouri being the New Jerusalem, to Utah being Zion, to the BoM being the Stick of Joseph, to Quetzalcoatl being the resurrected Jesus visiting the Americas, I can get tired of tenuous religious parallels.

OTOH, It can be amazing and wonderful how a new religion can co-opt the anchient promises and make them new again. The Christians did it in the meridian of time and the Mormons did it in the 1800's - they made religion fresh and relevant. The Mormon Pioneers became like the camp of Isreal traveling to the promised land.

That is both delusional and meaningful all at the same time.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Leo is the lion. The lion symbolizes Judah. Judah is actually pronounced Yudah. Yudah is phonetically equivalent to Utah. This involvement of this constellation may be dualism for the Jews but also for the Utahans. (sic)
Seems a bit of stretch for me. Though I can see why the connection was made.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---