Black Klansman, KKK & the LDS

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Black Klansman, KKK & the LDS

Post by SamBee »

I watched Black Klansman recently and it got me thinking about a few questions:

* What has been the relationship between the KKK and LDS? The film is set in Colorado, not trad Klan territory but Colorado includes some Mormon communities I believe.
* Does the KKK hate Mormons like it hates Catholics?
* Does the KKK bar LDS members? (The Orange Order, the Protestant supremacist org in Ireland bans LDS as non-trinitarian).
* Would the pre-1978 church have forbidden members to join the Klan?

I know the LDS and KKK share a common Masonic influence (as does the Orange Order). The LDS has frequently been accused of being racist in the past, but I feel it is enough outside the American mainstream to atract the Klan's ire. The modern LDS also wouldn't stand for members joining it.
Last edited by SamBee on 11 Sep 2018, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
dande48

Re: Black Klansma, KKK & the LDS

Post by dande48 »

Utah History Encyclopedia, The Ku Klux Klan

TLDR;
1. The first movement in Utah (1920s) had some Mormons, but was mostly made up of non-members. They were against LDS political and economic power in Utah. The Church has repeatedly deounced them, forbade membership, and enacted anti-KKK laws in Utah. The third KKK movement in Utah was mostly Mormon, and lasted from 1970-1981.
2. No.
3. Not explicitly for being LDS.
4. They did.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Re: Black Klansman, KKK & the LDS

Post by SamBee »

Thanks for that link. It made for interesting reading. It seems that LDS members have had a complex relationship with the KKK (although it's worth pointing out that there has not been one Klan for decades - there are a number of rival organizations who all hate each other and each claims to be the true successor. Black Klansman is about the group the Knights of the KKK)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Roy

Post by Roy »

SamBee wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 02:18 there has not been one Klan for decades - there are a number of rival organizations who all hate each other and each claims to be the true successor. Black Klansman is about the group the Knights of the KKK
An offshoot group of the Knights of the KKK should be named the "Knew Knights of the KKK." ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Roy wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 16:23
SamBee wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 02:18 there has not been one Klan for decades - there are a number of rival organizations who all hate each other and each claims to be the true successor. Black Klansman is about the group the Knights of the KKK
An offshoot group of the Knights of the KKK should be named the "Knew Knights of the KKK." ;)
:lol:
Korrekt Knights of the KKK?
Kaucasian KKKK?
Kuddly KKKK?

(I notice that the Kanadian branch used a K in one thing I looked up.)