Repentance, confessions, and letting go of the past

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Repentance, confessions, and letting go of the past

Post by Old-Timer »

Minyan Man, your comment is exactly why I love this forum.

Thank you!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

I know a Protestant who took the host not once but twice at the same event! He got funny looks from the priest when he said "thank you" as well.

Personally I'm not keen on how they present the mass. The way they place it on your tongue and you share a cup... nah.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Heber13 wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 14:12 They are married. There seems to be no lasting repercussions...other than what they have been taught in church that it is unresolved, which makes them feel bad about themselves for messing up. They know other couples that confessed and went through the disciplinary process...which seemed kinda harsh to them. They aren't sure they need to do that for something years in the past.

What kind of advice could you give them?

What do you all think? What is the gospel principle to cling to? What helps move to peace, what helps let go of the past? What brings peace? Should they try to nuance what they hear at church to what feels right to them, or just submit and go confess and let the process carry them forward?

Is it manufacturing the guilt that requires confession to remove the guilt manufactured?

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.
My answers are:
What kind of advice could you give them?
My answer would be: they are not alone. All have fallen short & require forgiveness. Time can help us understand the process & move through it.
Or it can make the guilt worse & we need help to work through it. IMO it doesn't need to be a Bishop.

Is it manufacturing the guilt that requires confession to remove the guilt manufactured?
If I understand the question, you can not manufacture guilt. Either you genuinely feel guilty or you don't. Some people feel the need for
confession others do not. I personally need to talk if I feel guilty about something. I have a tendency to blow things out of proportion.
I use someone whose opinion I like & know. Someone who can hold my confidence without judgement. Rarely, in my case, would it be church leadership. If I stay within my own head tossing my thoughts around, I can get more confused.

Heber, what is your ultimate goal? and, can you get forgiveness without coming back to church?
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SamBee wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 12:19
dande48 wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 08:06
SamBee wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 03:49

My problem with this is that there is a formula and procedure they use, right? I've wanted to see what this is like but I suspect they'd sniff out a non-Catholic quickly. I'd do it on vacation somewhere else.
From what I understand, the Catholic priesthood will usually accept anyone's confession, Catholic or not. The only thing they can't do, is absolve a non-catholic's sins.
I haven't heard of this. I know they refuse non-Catholics bread and wine - if they know them to be so
In my experience as a Catholic no one ever asked. There are lots of people who sit in the pews and don't fully participate in the rituals. When people stand to go up and get the sacrament (communion in their words) nobody cares about who gets up and who doesn't. I can imagine if we did it the way Catholics do in my ward, most people would hurt their necks trying to turn around to see who didn't get up. The culture of the thing is quite different.

I like the way the Catholic ritual emphasizes more of what's actually going on - we're remembering the Savior and what He did and we're begging his grace and mercy. If you pay attention you will hear the words "Jesus our brother."

On Catholic television (there are a couple different ones) you can watch mass. And there are many Youtube videos of masses. You don't have to go to a Catholic church to see one.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

On Catholic television (there are a couple different ones) you can watch mass. And there are many Youtube videos of masses. You don't have to go to a Catholic church to see one.
I've been to a few. Traditional, tridentine, happy clappy... I gather pre-Vatican II the priest stood with his back to the congregation while blessing the host and it was all done in. I have been to Latin mass... but where you could see what was going on. Luckily I know enough Latin to know roughly what was going on.

The best thing about RC mass in my experience? Usually the music.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."