The Lord's Name

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Re: The Lord's Name

Post by Roy »

I have appreciated the discussion. Thanks!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: The Lord's Name

Post by Old-Timer »

When dealing with words, I always like to start with actual meanings. In that light:

"Vain" means "excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited: proceeding from or showing pride in or concern about one's appearance, qualities, etc.; ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile: without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: senseless or foolish."

"In vain" means: "without effect or avail; to no purpose; in an improper or irreverent manner".

Each definition is somewhat subjective, but each also is common. I find it interesting that the original commandment is NOT to avoid using God's name vainly (like the first few, most common definitions) but, rather, "in vain" (like the last definitions that focus on effect, purpose, and manner). The commandment appears to be more about what someone claims to do by using God's name and less about pride - although I understand there often is a direct connection between the two and they often overlap. To me, this ties directly into the command to "swear not at all" - which has absolutely nothing to do with "swear words" and everything to do with making promises with regard to things outside of one's control in the name of God.

Interestingly, the D&C treatise on unrighteous dominion addresses BOTH definitions of citing authority vainly and in vain. I like the combination.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken