Modern-day Experiences With The Second Comforter

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Modern-day Experiences With The Second Comforter

Post by Heber13 »

dande48 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:10 "We'd like to take your daughters into the wilderness and marry them and start a new civilization."
"Ok"
And he died.
:clap:

I wonder if Ishmael sat in the back row during Nephi's sermons.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 »

Hahaa. I would agree when it came to Nephi dealing with Laman and Lemual he was the majority of the time very arrogant. I believe in the books I'm talking about when it came to faith in the Lord Nephi was incredibly humble, which I agree. I think he could have been much more patient with his brothers. Maybe that's one of the sins Nephi was referring to in his psalm. I would agree that they people that have claimed to have experienced the Second Comforter do put Nephi on such a high pedestal just like Joseph Smith. And it's interesting that they mention not to trust in the arm of the flesh, for instance, they would agree that much of the teaching of the LDS Church is part of the arm of flesh, but then they don't stop to think that Joseph Smith's and the ancient prophet's teachings were some of that too.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Heber13 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:11
dande48 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:10 "We'd like to take your daughters into the wilderness and marry them and start a new civilization."
"Ok"
And he died.
:clap:

I wonder if Ishmael sat in the back row during Nephi's sermons.
NON? New Order Nephite?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

To me, it's another reason to be agnostic in Mormonism. All this mysticism, beliefs that are not clearly docrtine, fable, culture or policy (which??). Unverifiable, for the most part. And then, capable of producing unhappiness due to obsession, self-loathing at not having achieved it, or otherwise.

I prefer not to have an opinion because any opinion I would have is not worthy of consideration. It is pure speculation.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers