Irish Presbyterians & children of gays

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Irish Presbyterians & children of gays

Post by SamBee »

The Presbyterian Church in Ireland has just forbidden gays from communion and getting their children baptized.
Last edited by SamBee on 09 Jun 2018, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Roy

Re: Irish Presbyterians & children of.gays

Post by Roy »

SamBee wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 17:12 The Presbyterian Church in Ireland has just forbidden gays from communion and getting their children baptized.
How does the Presbyterian Church operate? Is it a hierarchy or more like a loose confederation of Presbyterian churches? Can the Irish branch make its own decisions on such a matter?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
SamBee

Re: Irish Presbyterians & children of.gays

Post by SamBee »

Roy wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 17:17
SamBee wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 17:12 The Presbyterian Church in Ireland has just forbidden gays from communion and getting their children baptized.
How does the Presbyterian Church operate? Is it a hierarchy or more like a loose confederation of Presbyterian churches? Can the Irish branch make its own decisions on such a matter?
Confederation. I think African Presbyterians aren't happy about the gay thing but the neighboring Church of Scotland is supposed to be gay friendly. Irish Presbyterians are mostly in Northern Ireland (and a few in Dublin and a few other places in the Republic of Ireland.)

There are smaller groups of Presbyterians about which are unaligned (including at least one other rival group in Ireland), but I think they are in a loose federation. It's not like the Episcopalians/Anglicans in that sense. So yes, the Irish Presbyterians.will have taken this decision on their own.

(I'm a former Presbyterian myself by the way.)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
SamBee

Re: Irish Presbyterians & children of gays

Post by SamBee »

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... e-12669806
The children of same-sex couples cannot be baptised in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the organisation said.

It adopted the new policy at an annual meeting in Belfast on Friday.

The measure will not prevent anyone from attending worship, coming into church, receiving communion, or having access to pastoral care, a spokesman said.

He added: "On many issues the Church provides guidance to our ministers and elders in Kirk sessions and we wanted to consider what a credible profession of faith means for same-sex couples who want to become communicant members of the Church.

"The same principle also applies to everyone, regardless of background or circumstance and those who want to baptise their children."

Earlier in the week, the church voted to loosen its ties with the Church of Scotland because of its more liberal attitude towards same-sex relationships.

The head of the Church of Scotland (moderator) will no longer be invited to the annual meeting of the Presbyterian General Assembly in Belfast.

Last month the Church of Scotland took a step towards allowing ministers to conduct same-sex marriages.

Its General Assembly asked a committee to draft church law on the issue.

The Church of Scotland is considered the mother church of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I believe there have been at least two schisms among Presbyterians in recent years in the US relating to policies regarding homosexuality. As I recall they relate to gay marriage and ordaining gay ministers.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

The issue is dividing up the Anglican Communion now. as well. Especially between the western churches and the African ones.