Kolob came up today

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Kolob came up today

Post by Heber13 »

SamBee wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:45
Heber13 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 14:53
Here's an interesting part of the hymn...
There is no end to youth
What does that mean? Youth is defined as: "the period between childhood and adult age"...how can there be no end to that?
That we always stay fresh in the eternities and don't sag, bulge or lose our memories?
Maybe...but that seems to be young adult, like our mid 20s...not "youth" ...we're not going to be 16 in our perfect form.

Or would we? Is there stake dances in the eternities we'll be going to?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Isn't 30 the supposed ideal age?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

I did have hair then.

I got remarried at 46. My wife now has never known me with hair...she thinks in the resurrection I should request no hair...she likes me better this way. All she knows.

My kids want me to be eternally 45 also.

But "there is no end to youth" rhymes with truth. Even if it must mean younger and vibrant, not teenager.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
dande48

Post by dande48 »

SamBee wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 00:11 Isn't 30 the supposed ideal age?

Does this look like any 30 year-old you've ever met?
Last edited by dande48 on 03 Jun 2018, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

dande48 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 07:50
SamBee wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 00:11 Isn't 30 the supposed ideal age?

Does this look like any 30 year-old you've ever met?
That's not Mormon. :lol:
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Is it Alma? :P

It is a song. It rhymed. Sometimes, we think too much.

Why are there 14 Fundamentals? Because he needed alliteration and started with "Fundamentals" - and he couldn't give a GC talk about only 4 simple statements. 7 steps of Repentance? Alliteration. The Great Plan of Salvation/Happiness? It couldn't be just an average, ordinary plan. 3 degrees of glory? Sun, moon, and stars were all they knew back in Biblical days - and 3 meant complete at the time.

Convenience, linguistics, and practicality are behind most things we want to be complicated, straightforward, and ethereal.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Old Timer wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 11:53 Is it Alma? :P

It is a song. It rhymed. Sometimes, we think too much.

Why are there 14 Fundamentals? Because he needed alliteration and started with "Fundamentals" - and he couldn't give a GC talk about only 4 simple statements. 7 steps of Repentance? Alliteration. The Great Plan of Salvation/Happiness? It couldn't be just an average, ordinary plan. 3 degrees of glory? Sun, moon, and stars were all they knew back in Biblical days - and 3 meant complete at the time.

Convenience, linguistics, and practicality are behind most things we want to be complicated, straightforward, and ethereal.
Just for the record, the FF was not a GC talk, it was given at BYU. It was later reprinted as a FP message in the Ensign. But the alliteration thing still counts.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

That's right. I forgot. Thanks.

Makes it that less authoritative, which I like.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

It wasn't originally a conference talk but was referenced twice during the October 2010 general conference. The alliteration and the fact that it came up twice during the same conference solidified and elevated the "doctrines."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e-prophets
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... y-survival

I think the 14Fs even came up again during a more recent (than 2010) general conference, but I can't remember.

People mention them all the time in my ward. In fact they were featured during a recent SM talk. I don't think they would have received any attention at all if not for those two general conference talks. Now it's canon.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
dande48

Post by dande48 »

nibbler wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 05:06 I don't think they would have received any attention at all if not for those two general conference talks. Now it's canon.
I agree, it's canon. Or at least all those fundamentals are treated as canon. It's too bad I only agree with #13 (but lets face it, did that really need to be said?). As for the rest, it makes me want to give the Church the middle finger. Thank goodness I haven't heard them mentioned in quite a long time. Feeling sorry for Nibbler.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket