Pray to the Lord?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
QuestionAbound

Pray to the Lord?

Post by QuestionAbound » 18 May 2018, 20:11

President Nelson asked the youth to “pray to the Lord” before the worldwide devotional.
We see that phraseology in scriptures as well.
How does one answer the conundrum of LDS doctrine of praying to God when Pres. Tells youth otherwise?

dande48

Re: Pray to the Lord?

Post by dande48 » 18 May 2018, 22:15

I think it's classical trinitarian lingo seeping into our doctrine. Jesus is God, God is Jesus. They are one in the same, except they're not, but they are. Homoiousian vs Homoousion. Praying to the Father is praying to the Lord.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 May 2018, 15:09

Lord is used interchangeably for Father and Son in lots of places.

I am 100% certain President Nelson meant the Father. Seriously, I think there is nothing to worry about with this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 19 May 2018, 23:59

That's what can be so confusing sometimes when Heavenly Father and Christ are used interchangeably for the Lord.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 20 May 2018, 08:06

I don't see much of a conflict here. Curt covers it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."