How do you view the Restoration?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.

How do you view the Restoration?

A perfect restoration.
No votes
A perfect restoration, with a different perspective.
No votes
Practically the same, with a few modern adjustments.
No votes
Restored in function and purpose, but scaled down to reach a more universal audience.
9%
A minimalist restoration. Brought back the basics, and everything else is personal conjecture.
9%
A modern reinterpretation. The same basic form, reimagined for our day.
27%
A restoration of purpose only. Created to supersede the original, according to God's will.
No votes
Has some of the same "parts" as the original, but is really completely different.
55%

Total votes: 11

Heber13

Re: How do you view the Restoration?

Post by Heber13 » 11 May 2018, 14:59

The restoration continues. It still evolves, still restores as we receive further light and knowledge.

I think the form we have today is not the same as what was restored in the 1800s.

Since that is the case, and we know so little about the form of 2000 years ago...it's likely so different, but God isn't as interested in the form, but the purpose it can provide. So...I was torn between 6 and 8.

There is baptism. That's probably similar to what they had before. Probably very few other things.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Re: How do you view the Restoration?

Post by DarkJedi » 11 May 2018, 15:02

dande48 wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:32
But do you think with our modern, secular age there could ever be another strong restoration? Have we come to a point where there will be no more new and enduring "Restorations"?

I feel pretty caertain that all religions from the beginning of time either evolve or die. But the rules are changing. I wonder how it will turn out.
I'm one of those people who believes pretty strongly the restoration is ongoing. In other words, it wasn't an event, but it's a process. I honestly think some of our leaders (and many of our members) have gotten in the way, but I still believe it's ongoing and that the more positive changes we see are evidence of it.

(I was typing at the same time as Heber.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction