Where else is eternal marriage taught?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
QuestionAbound

Where else is eternal marriage taught?

Post by QuestionAbound » 02 Apr 2018, 13:38

I can only think of D&C 132...and even though that section is clunky and convoluted and gives me the creeps, it's the only place I can find specific teaching about eternal marriage and families.

Any other places?

SamBee

Re: Where else is eternal marriage taught?

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2018, 14:45

The Temple and Patriarchal Blessings.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 02 Apr 2018, 16:14

If you're looking for references in the Standard works, I think that's about it, unless you REALLY want to stretch and imply a few other scriptures. There's plenty in talks from early Church leaders all the way to the present. But yes, it is pretty sparse for being such an important topic.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2018, 16:48

dande48 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 16:14
If you're looking for references in the Standard works, I think that's about it, unless you REALLY want to stretch and imply a few other scriptures. There's plenty in talks from early Church leaders all the way to the present. But yes, it is pretty sparse for being such an important topic.
That scripture about binding and loosing.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 03 Apr 2018, 06:55

SamBee wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 16:48
That scripture about binding and loosing.
Feels like a stretch with strong implications.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Apr 2018, 06:57

In lots of people's hearts, even if their churches and religions don't teach it directly.

That might seem like a cop out at first, but it is a fundamental human desire for people who believe in an afterlife and love their spouses - and, for most, it is expressed as a wish, even though they don't believe it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 03 Apr 2018, 07:33

Well said, Curt.

Because it's such a fundamental desire, I find it troubling that eternal marriage is only promised to the people who were lucky enough to be Mormon and marry in the temple. Y'know, 0.1% of the world's population plus whatever proportion converts in the spirit world. I mean this whole idea that family ties are magically severed seems a bit far-fetched to me. I see no reason why those relationships wouldn't continue even if they aren't official or cross kingdoms of glory boundaries.

And that's part of why I'm a universalist.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

dande48

Post by dande48 » 04 Apr 2018, 05:30

Beefster wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 07:33
And that's part of why I'm a universalist.
Joseph Smith Sr, and Asael Smith were both Universalist. I think many of the ideas, doctrines, and principles got passed on to Joseph Smith Jr when he was restoring the Church. That's why we insist on EVERYONE being baptized and sealed, post death, whether they want it to or not. I've also known a good number of Mormons who believe that even if someone fully rejected the gospel in this life, they'd still probably come around in the next. Heck, Adolf Hitler was baptized, endowed, and sealed post-mortem. #Godwin'sLaw

I'd say the LDS Church is very Universalist; maybe even to the point of bridging mainstream Christianity with Universalism. Also, keep in mind that many latter day prophets have taught that all the posterity of righteous would all be saved. They'd still have to pay their "debt", but in the end they'd still make it to the Celestial Kingdom.

-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2018, 12:11

What dande48 said.

We don't teach that only those selves in this life get to stay together. We teach that everyone has that chance - and that, ultimately, God has "all eternity" to make things work out in the end.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken